Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting | Teen Ink

Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting

By mrittmritt77 GOLD, Ann Arbor, Michigan
mrittmritt77 GOLD, Ann Arbor, Michigan

I will arise and go now, for always night and day

I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;

While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,

I hear it in the deep heart's core.

The facts: On Sunday morning August 5th, a Sikh gurudwara in Oak Creek, Wisconsin was attacked by 40-year old Wade Michael Page. Six people were killed and others wounded.

My thoughts: Wade Michael Page reportedly mistook the Sikh place of worship for a Muslim place of worship. Sikhs are often mistaken for Muslims because of their dark skin, beards and traditional turbans. Aside from the fact that the temple was clearly labeled as Sikh, I strongly believe that even if Page had gotten his facts straight and attacked a Muslim temple, it would still be a disgusting act of domestic terrorism. Page, a member of a white supremacist group, was said to have had a 9-11 tattoo on one arm. This leads me to believe that Page, amongst many fellow Americans had strongly and deeply felt the loss of many Americans in the attacks on New York City and Washington D.C. If Page understood and felt the pain that such a massacre put a community through, my question is WHY would he want to inflict that upon another community?

Revenge, I understand. It's natural to want someone to have to pay when so many lives were taken unfairly. But 9-11 was a suicide mission. Those who he should be targeting are dead, and so is Osama bin Laden. Are we not all humans? Do we not all feel pain? Whether Muslim, American or Sikh, when a small, ignorant group of people take the lives of innocent people, it is terrorism. Page's ignorance caused 6 lives to be taken, and drove an entire community into fear. Even if Page had cared enough to check whether or not it was a Muslim or Sikh temple, essentially the concept would be the same; a community completely unrelated to the attacks of 9-11 would have been forced to pay for it, just as many innocent Americans were forced to give their lives for things they were unrelated to. Thus begins an endless chain of hate, murder and terrorism that we so desperately try to put an end to.

I was shocked when I heard about this shooting. I don't usually do articles but I felt my voice needed to be heard on this. Please to feel free to comment and discuss with me any thoughts on this :)

Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin

"Madness in great ones must not unwatched go" --Claudius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet

A good article, but I have to say I don’t think that 9/11 played any part in this shooting (though I suppose we’ll never know). It very well could’ve been one of his motives.