What Veterans Have Given Us | Teen Ink

What Veterans Have Given Us

By swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia
swcricket98 GOLD, Williamson, Georgia

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

When you ask yourself, “What have our honorable veterans given us?” what is your answer? To be specific, the one word that comes to my mind is freedom. No matter what I think of, these thoughts always link back to freedom. This makes me realize how precious freedom is and that I should never take it for granted.

To some people, special, heartfelt memories pour into their reminiscing minds. The feelings, as a result of the memories, can range anywhere from tear-jerking to cheerful. Most people know a veteran or someone who is presently serving. This could be a brother or sister, father or mother, or maybe even a close friend. If you do know someone, you understand that I am not some wacko when I say that veterans mean a lot to many people in America.

Many ignorant people say that the only strengths of a military participant are being able to fight. If you believe that, you are deeply mistaken. In fact, veterans have a tremendous amount of maturity, responsibility, and courage. They also excel at displaying teamwork and compromising. Most members of the military and veterans are exemplary people and are some of the most respected and honored in the world.

Not all veterans are men and women who have literally fought in a battle. Many veterans have been military nurses, people on reserve, and some members of the Air Force. Although these people do not come face to face with battle, they are large benefactors in the United States Military. As Jose Naroksy quotes, “In a war, there are no unwounded soldiers.”

When you think of the military, you don’t really think about all of the hard-working people on the military bases. These people include policemen and firemen of the base, people that run the military base, and others like engineers and pilots. They are just a beneficial and significant as the people fighting the war.

There are millions of people serving this very second. In 2009, a calculation was figured that in Iraq, a little under one million, five hundred thousand people were actively serving, and about the same amount were on reserve. That was just in Iraq! These numbers prove that American citizens today have more dedication to this country and its occupants than ever.

Every individual who has previously fought or is currently fighting should be honored for their bravery and effort in protection the United States of America. These extraordinary men and women have not only left their forlorn families here in America but have also risked their sacred lives for the greater good of the country. I wish I could thank every single one of the members of the United States Military. But, in the words of John Kennedy, “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is to not utter words, but to live by them.”

I wrote this in 6th grade for a project.

on Nov. 6 2011 at 5:54 pm
abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

Wait, second sentece.