Point of View- Gun Control | Teen Ink

Point of View- Gun Control

By Writing4Pub DIAMOND, Colts Neck, New Jersey
Writing4Pub DIAMOND, Colts Neck, New Jersey

Always desire to learn something useful.
Sophocles

There has been a lot of talk about gun control lately. Gun control is the law restricting U.S. citizens from owning a firearm. It requires going through a long and annoying process before you can buy a gun. Almost all guns used for crimes are taken illegally, and gun control is not just in the U.S.; many other countries have gun control. It should become much easier to possess a weapon because gun control prevents you from protecting yourself in the event of a robbery, or other serious situations.

Typically, before you can buy a gun, you would have to pass a yearly test that determines if you can own a firearm legally. This is because the government must check your background and make sure that you know the safety precautions before you are able to own a firearm, which is a long and slow process. The process can sometimes take up to two years! Even so, about 70 to 80 million Americans own a gun; that is about 40 to 45% of the households in the United States.(11 Facts About gun Control, http://www.dosomething.org/tipsandtools/11-facts-about-gun-control)Many people throughout the United States want it to be much more complicated to own a gun while others such as hunters would beg to differ. Anyone of a certain age should be able to own a firearm if they have had some experience while shooting these weapons throughout training, classes or while enrolled in the military.

Like most laws, gun control dates back to the time of our founding fathers and the creation of the Constitution. The document stated that it is legal for citizens to possess a gun. This was a way to ensure that citizens can protect themselves and have a skilled local militia in times of war. Self-defense was the only way for citizens to protect themselves from threats such as criminals or thieves, so being able to own a gun made them feel secure. Another good example was World War Two, when Adolph Hitler put Germany under the use of gun control. This stopped German citizens from being able to own firearms. This gave the Nazis complete power with very little resistance. With gun control something like that could happen again.

It is believed that the government should make it easier to own a gun because most criminals get their guns illegally. If a weapon is registered legally and a criminal gets caught with this gun you will be fined much greater but you will have the same term affect as if you bought a weapon from a black market. Also if another country or a civil war breaks out the citizens will be armed with a cause. This is why some countries like Israel make it mandatory to serve in the military for a set amount of years because if another county invades them they will be able to protect against intruders and they will have experience in the military and with guns so they will be able to protect against most other countries. As studies show 84% of guns found with criminals were illegally smuggled and only 16% are unpredictable and aren’t exactly bought legally.(Do Gun Laws Make You Safer?, http://www.tdtalk.com/archive/index.php/t-939.html) In fact, most guns that are used for crime are typically stolen from places like homes and gun dealers. Gun control laws don’t reduce the amount of gun related crimes so why are they even put into effect? Everyone that wants to own a gun stands by the Constitution’s second amendment, the right to bear arms. Most people that want to possess a gun are Democrats while most Republicans are for the act of gun control. Some people would even say that gun control is unconstitutional.
All in all, it should become easier to own a gun for many reasons. It can take up to two years to get certified to own and buy a gun! That is way too long. Gun control; the law restricting the use of guns; dates back to times like the holocaust where the Nazis used it against Germany as they took power. When used wrongly, gun control can lead to great unbalances in power. Gun control can even be considered unconstitutional for going against the second amendment, the right to bear arms. Most guns used for crime are obtained illegally, but if gun control was changed so it was easier to buy guns like hunting rifles but harder to be certified for them and harder to get assault weapons then crime would go down. Gun control is not a good law and needs to be changed.

Zac_Smith said...
on Mar. 4 2014 at 10:10 am
Good for Taiwan. This is 'Merica 

In Taiwan, nobody in public has guns and we're not like the Nazis.