Quite Sick of It | Teen Ink

Quite Sick of It

February 24, 2011

I read the things people put on TeenInk. I watch the Daily Show, CNN, the O’Reilly factor. I read the newspaper. I look online to research politics.
I love debate. I love to argue, and research, and figure out truth from opinion, and figure out how to make opinion into truth. So when I see people write, I can determine a few things from it.
First of all, people believe anything they want to hear. Really, it’s true. It is why you can completely distract a girl by telling her she’s pretty, or completely distract anyone with a compliment. It is why you say, “I tried to call you” when you’re in trouble with your parents, and why you always tell your grandparents that, yes, you did watch that movie they loaned you, and no, you have not lost it.
Believe it or not, politicians are aware of that little trick. They know people will believe anything, as long as it makes them feel heroic or strong, or superior. People love feeling superior.
So when you listen to a politician speak, they are lying. When you listen to a political analyst or reporter, they are interpreting those lies. Eventually, each issue gets blown up past the point of no return, and people no longer care about right or wrong. People only seem to care about winning.
And let me tell you something. The things people write online? They are second-hand interpretations of those reporters, who recorded lies. They are people who pretend to hate so they have power for a second. Also, the people who defend are usually just as bad.
People watch shows who market opinions. Republican news markets patriotic duties and smart decisions for the betterment of a country, and downplays Liberals as delusional fact-benders. Democratic news markets helping those who cannot or will not help themselves, and attacks Republicans for being cold-hearted corporate idiots.
They are both very convincing, and oftentimes teenagers will take the opinion given to them by television and parents. We should not be so easily swayed.
Ignore, please, your parents and your friends. Distract yourself from trends. Look to cold, hard facts that no one ever really talks about. Don’t trust any news outlet or person until you see numbers or words on paper. That’s basically a good thing to take through life. Because people lie. They don’t always mean to, or mean harm by it, but people lie. Don’t be toyed with. Make your own opinions; investigate your world. Even facts are interpretable. Be sure to know about a topic, and things related to a topic, before making an opinion.
Otherwise, anything you write is just part of the problem.