The Mosque Insanity

I am very confused as to what the issue is exactly. It’s quite difficult to understand, especially when you turn on the news. One the one hand, you have MSNBC screaming about the 1st amendment, and you flip a few channels only to hear Bill O’Reilly fuming about radical terrorists and 9/11.

WHAT?!

Apparently, followers of Islam wish to build a mosque near ground zero as a way to help rebuild America’s relationship with Muslims.

Yeah. That’s not going to happen.

While well intentioned and extremely optimistic, what I do not think they realize is that America is not ready to move on. Ground Zero is a sad memory of an extremist ISLAMIC attack, and most American people are simply uncomfortable with how close the mosque is. Is it really that complicated?

Interestingly enough, it is. You have freedom of religion on one hand, and the horrors of 9/11 on the other. Is there no middle of the road? What I think should happen is moving the mosque a few blocks down the road from the proposed sight. NOW BEFORE YOU GET MAD…

Just think of what would happen if someone was paying their respects at Ground Zero and, in their emotional grief, happen to look over and see a mosque right near the memorial? Not to mention the retaliation that Islam is already getting for creating such a controversy. Wake up, Islam! In an effort to help the public view of your religion, NOT creating controversy is key!

Anyways, that’s just what I took from all of this. Oh, and I would really like to see Barack Obama keep his mouth shut on this whole thing. He probably should do something about his image as well, considering that’s about the only thing he cares about.

Although, it wouldn’t suck if he defended Christianity every now and again.

rockyraccoon said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 3:48 am:
i heard that the mosque is quite a ways from ground zereo though youre right about everything else.

KidB1963 said...

"I wonder how many Americans realize the community center is not intended for Ground Zero. What will be constructed there includes a 55,000 square foot retail mall. This mall will be deep enough to connect with subway lines -- deep enough, that is, to theoretically be embedded in the ashes of some of the 9/11 victims." -Roger Ebert

Food for thought.

peace.frog.271 replied...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 1:23 pm :
Curious, but I wonder if this Roger Ebert really understands the reason why America just can't build it. The community center, whether Mall or Mosque, is not something that should be "embedded in the ashes" I hope someday you realize this, though it may be too late.

WickedPrincess said...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 9:07 am:
I competely agree with our first ammendmant rights on freedom of religion. But here its different. If you have done farther research you will know that the Mosque is being funded by the taliban. It is also going to be called Mosque of Victory. The taliban built such a mosque in Spain, on the same land where they bombed an killed 1,000 spanish citizens. Sound familiar? An while freedom of religion is a great thing, this country was founded on Christianity, not islam. Which the members of islam ha... (more »)

peace.frog.271 replied...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 8:57 am :

WickedPrincess, though I see your point, it is unhealthy to have such a prejudice against a religion as large and powerful as Islam. The "Mosque of Victory" was a name Republican protesters gave the mosque in an effort to convince the general public that is was a bad idea.

Get your facts straight.

peace.frog.271 said...
Once again, I would like to stress that I am not prejudice, I just think that we need to respect the victims of 9/11 and move the mosque.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 11:28 am :

I apologize for accusing you of bigotry; that was unfair of me. I don't suppose it will do much good for me to argue, seeing as you are firm with your opinion. You do bring up good points in this article, after all.

I still think you are unfair to Obama. But I will once again apologize for my accusation.

Threefiddy said...

This radical Imam is such as detestable creature. He wishes to spread Sharia Law in the United States and he refused to denounce Hezbollah, a radical murderous regime.

Let us not lie to ourselves and pretend that this wasn't an act of intentional provocation. This is not about religious freedom. NOBODY is saying that Muslims cannot practice their religion. This is obviously not a First Amendment issue.

This is such a spit in the face to all those who were murdered that day and t... (more »)

saimneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 1:30 pm :
it is a form of humiliation to build your own on conquered land.... so that is a total slap in the face for the victims of 9/11, PLUS Imam is a supporter of HAMAS to make matters worse

peace.frog.271 replied...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 8:11 pm :
Though I agree with you to some degree, again, prejudice is not the answer. It's depressing to think that you assume all mosques are for terrorists. Please get your facts straight, though I respect your opinion.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I must count to ten, breathing deeply in and out and look at photos of adorable baby animals JUST to get my anger to abate. Hold on...

Aug. 26, 2010 at 7:37 pm :
Your attitude is close minded and malicious. 9/11 is not Islam's fault! The building of the mosque is a symbolic movement, and it should indicate to Muslims that we don't blame them for what happened. A few more breaths...

Aug. 26, 2010 at 7:40 pm :
Whether you see it or not, you have let yourself identify all Muslims as terrorists. Open up your mind and FORGIVE the people that have done nothing wrong. I choose to ignore your jab at Obama. I'm sorry for my rant.

Aug. 27, 2010 at 1:26 pm :
then why cant we build it down the street or something ? if they want acceptance soooooo bad, they should be happy with it in any shape or form or, in this case, location.

Aug. 27, 2010 at 6:40 pm :
As I said, building the mosque at Ground Zero symbolizes that we do not blame all Muslims for what happened. They had nothing to do with the incident. Your prejudice makes me so sad.

Aug. 27, 2010 at 7:48 pm :
prejudice? prejudice is rejecting the proposal to rebuild the greek orthodox church that was destroyed from the event but then considering building this on the site ! i dont see how relocating the mosque is prejudice, we are still allowing them to worship just not within this specific vicinity.

peace.frog.271 replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:07 pm :

Honestly, my prejudice? I have two best friends that are followers of Islam and they completely agree with me.

All that I am saying is that the elephant in the room is that it was an ISLAMIC attack. Here's an example:

There wouldn't be an all white church built near an infamous KKK attack, would there? It's not the people's fault that they're white, but they must respect that because powerful all white church goers were members of the KKK and did such a horrible thing, that mayb... (more »)

peace.frog.271 replied...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 10:30 am :
Oh and as for my jab at Obama? You can ignore it all you want, but it certainly won't go away.

saimneThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

THANK YOU!

if Muslims want the mosque so badly, they should be happy REGARDLESS of the location! they are asking for too much from a nation that is still wary of their awkward presence.

WickedPrincess replied...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 9:10 am :
Agreed with peace frog. I have a couple of islamic friends an they agr3e with this also. It was an islamic attack an this is sacred land so to speak. If your relatives die of say cancer, do you put a monument to cancer, practically praising it on top of the grave? No you do not so how is this any different?