Good Sense on Good Energy | Teen Ink

Good Sense on Good Energy

By PhoenixLord BRONZE, Park City, Utah
PhoenixLord BRONZE, Park City, Utah

It should be obvious by now that oil is no longer a practical energy source. Who in their right mind would say that a disgusting, environment-killing, wasteful, limited source of energy is worth any more investment?

Well reading today's news, as most of America is, I couldn't help but notice that the gulf of mexico is bleeding. I should add, this has been going on for a while. Now we're left with a sea full of oil, an ecosystem of dead and dying animals, and a population of very angry people. Putting all the blame on the company that brought about this catastrophe is unfair when the oil-thirsty society we maintain demanded that oil. There's a bright side that has leaked out of the spill: hammering in the message that oil isn't just dangerous as a burned gas, it's dangerous as a crude substance. CO2 emissions are incredibly hazardous to our planet in the long run, but if society needs a quick wake-up call right here and now, this is it!

This morning I'm looking out my window, and I couldn't help but notice that there's not a cloud in the sky and there's a steady breeze going through the trees. Two sources of potential energy right out the window. Meanwhile oil is buried deep underground, sometimes best found beneath miles of ocean. The terminology for solar and wind energy is 'alternative sources', but why on Earth should the most readily available sources be labelled 'alternative'. Not to mention that they aren't nearly as dangerous as oil and nuclear fuel. You know what happens when a wind turbine explodes? Nothing.

I'm not an expert, I don't have power, and I don't have answers to how society can rethink it's energy policy. I do know that this isn't just an issue for America, it's a world concern. More research is needed into the fields of solar and wind energy, as well as many other greener sources, before they can fully replace oil. The transition isn't going to take place tomorrow, but it has to happen. It should be obvious by now, but is common sense enough to inspire change?

It should be obvious by now that oil is no longer a practical energy source

on Jul. 21 2010 at 11:01 pm
PhoenixLord BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Hey Threefiddy!  I appreciate your insight, and for the sake of everyone and everything on planet Earth, I hope you're right.

on Jul. 21 2010 at 5:38 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
Ehh...sorry about all of the reposts. They didn't go through at first, so I did it multiple times >.>

on Jul. 21 2010 at 5:37 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

The notion that we are destroying the planet is another false dogma. This Earth has put up with larger things than you and me, and that prism in your garage isn't causing "climate change". With all of the scandals that have taken place, where scientists have repeatedly altered data, it is amazing that you choose to ignore these incredible lies. For the past 15 years, there has been no discernible change in global temperate.

ocregister.c

om/articles/-234092--.html

put the link together.

on Jul. 21 2010 at 5:37 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

ocregister.c om/articles/-234092--.html

on Jul. 21 2010 at 5:36 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

http://www.ocregister.c om/articles/-234092--.html

on Jul. 21 2010 at 5:30 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

It's another false doctrine that this world is being destroyed. This world has put up with bigger things than you and me, and that prism in your garage isn't going doing a damn thing to this Earth. I have pointed out the global warming scandals, where scientists repeatedly lied and altered the results of their reports. The environmentalists, in false science, are perfectly willing to destroy the economies of the world in pursuit of a false science. There has been no discernible change in the global temperate for 15 years.

Global warming scandals:

ocregister.c om/articles/-234092--.html

on Jul. 21 2010 at 5:02 pm
AnneOnnimous BRONZE, Peterborough Ontario, Other

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself."
— John Green

If green energy is the only thing that will sustain life on planet earth (which it is), I'm pretty sure you're just going to have to deal with the job losses and such.

on Jul. 21 2010 at 4:51 pm
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California
God, I've said this so many times now. The vast majority of advancments that have taken place during the 20th century came about because of the profit motive. This so-called "green technology" today cannot support the world's largest economy. It is religious dogma that we can power our economy through solar and wind energy. The market always produces goods and services through the cheapest and most efficient methods of production, and "alternative energy sources" today are both too expensive and too inefficent for practical use among industry and private use. The technology is long from being practical to use as a main source of acquiring energy, but it will come about because of the initiative of the market to produce a profit. Not to mention, all of the countries that have "invested" in green technology have lost jobs; in Spain, they lost two jobs for every "green-job" (I sure wouldn't want one of those btw) created.