Obama Response to Haitian Catastrophe | Teen Ink

Obama Response to Haitian Catastrophe

January 30, 2010
By agarcia BRONZE, Santo Domingo, Other
agarcia BRONZE, Santo Domingo, Other
2 articles 16 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
One of my favorite personal quotes is:
"Therefore it is necessary for a prince, who wishes to maintain himself, to learn how not to be good,and to use his knowledge and not use it, according to the necessity of the case..." - Machiavelli


It's come to my concern that our infamous president, the one who was/is praised for his genius, has hit a very critiqued rough patch- and so early in his term. On January 12, 2010 you might've heard of the 7.0 earthquake that hit Haiti, destroying the entire country. You might've also heard that an estimated 3 million people were affected by this catastrophe- leaving nothing but debris and chaos in Haiti.


Obama's response to Haiti's misfortune was not immediate relief of food, or water, or medical assistance. Instead "The Obama administration responded to the Haitian disaster with a military intervention and occupation" (WSWS). You wonder why? The Haitian death rate increasing every hour, and our president launches a military intervention to prevent any Haitians fleeing the country. The result of this was the aid needed in the first three days, "was withheld at the cost of thousands of more lives" (WSWS). The planes arriving with medical supplies at the Port-Au-Prince airport were denied landing by the U.S (who had occupied the airport) and were waiting for their own planes to arrive with their troops.


Obama almost (even) failed to address the Haitian crisis in his State of the Union speech on Wednesday night, finally mentioning it when he was already three-quarters into his speech. Rather than referring to the Haitian crisis with apathy and/or at least some compassion, he grouped this event along with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and "exploited the Haitian catastrophe as a means of extolling US power and virtue" (WSWS).


Aside from this incredibly shocking (and disappointing) act on Obama's part, I must also mention the advances that have been made since his election in 2009. A study shows that amnesty for illegal immigrants has created 1.5 trillion in GDP (Gross Domestic Product), Montana has legalized assisted suicide, Obama named first-ever transgender appointee, the number of cars on American roadways decreased by 4 million, Germany cuts greenhouse emissions 9 percent in one year, two argentine men marry in South America's first gay marriage (Yay!), and lastly, Congress allows D.C to legalize medical marijuana.


Some of the "Bad" found this year includes: six million Americans scraping by with no income other than food stamps, and fecal contamination found in 48% of fast-food soda (Yuck!), among others. (Thank you Rolling Stone magazine for the "Threat Assesment" in your latest issue!)