Obama: What was this country thinking? | Teen Ink

Obama: What was this country thinking?

On a usual election day I usually wait anxiously, glued to the tv keeping updated on the election results. This election day was far different. I knew the sad fact that the new leader of our nation was Barrack Obama. While he was a politician running for election the election had little to do with politics. The basis of this election in all reality was the basis that he was black. I have nothing against the people of other Ethnicity than my own, its just simple facts. I took time to ask some of my friends why they wanted him for president. The initial silence said it all. A couple said it would be a monumental day to have the first black president. But should this really be the reason for electing a president? In my opinion this is not a responsible reason to elect the most powerful man in the world.
The horror of Obama continued quickly into his administration. Within a quick period of time in became apperant that Guatamana Bay was to be closed. I have heard much debate on what is moral to do to a human to get information out of someone,torture. I have a older brother who just got back from Iraq who is serving in the marines. I cannot think of a single person who does not want to support our troops and do anything for their welfare. For me,and other familes with a family member in any military service,we would approve any measures to find out information that will bring our family members home carrying a american flag, not wraped in one. The iformation not only would save military lives but think if it stops a terrorist attack that could potentialy kill hundreds is that worth the torture of a person whos goal is to cause harm to innocent people. I do believe it is.

on Feb. 4 2015 at 10:39 am
southcarolinacountryboy BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

Life's a Garden, Dig it.

Im ready for him to get out of the white house!

peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

Hopefully he does NOT get elected again.

SingLoveLiveSmile BRONZE, Brookline, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity"- Martin Luther King Jr.

This piece is making a lot of assumptions. People didn't elect Obama just because he's black. And your remarks on torture are incredibly one sided. Many, many innocent people have been tortured because of misinformation. And do you think a terrorist is going to give good information while they're being waterboarded. Our government gets tons of misinformation from torture...like what sent us into Iraq. If it weren't for torture, thousands of soldiers would be alive right now 

Reaganator40 SILVER, Wrentham, Massachusetts
Change is only valuable if it is successful. Here we are in 2011 with unemployment hovering around 9%, underemployment at 17.5%, and economic confidence at -50. While a person who instills feelings of hope in others is commendable, the promises must be successful. In this case, they aren't.

Fluffy2772 said...
Fluffy2772, McDonough, Georgia

We are at war in the first place because of Bush, no Obama. In Bush's plan to fight terrorism, he wanted to focus on afghanastan and on Iraq. He never authorized anyone to look in Pakistan. When Obama became president, at his first conference with our military leaders, he was asked for permission to search Pakistan. Guess what happens as soon as we look there? 

Obama has helped this war move along.

rockyraccoon said...
on Jun. 26 2011 at 2:33 am
rockyraccoon, Fort Wayne, Indiana

today tommorow next month next year all look remarkably gray.

okay you have some good points but Obama was not elected because he was black he just seemed a better choice than mcane who was unfit for presidency. Also you may be right about the prison but toture seems wrong maybe it would help but toture doesn't allways work and it would look bad to americas allies

Fate98 GOLD said...
on Jun. 1 2011 at 8:30 am
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other

"Life isn’t about how popular you are… What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts.. and our minds. This is the reason we sing.. this is the reason we cry… this is why we live." - Andy six"

Ye you make a good point actually. I  clicked on this page, tinking i was about to read some racest jerk's rubbish that i would then leave an angry strongly worded comment on. It seems worse on Americas part electing him for electing him only because he is black. I come from the UK and dont really follow USA politics but you do make a very good point

Kyle Tierney BRONZE, Marcellus, New York
hes making the curcumstances worst. THATS WHY HE SUCKS

than have 2000 people be crushed and burned to death in the twin towers?

on Aug. 19 2010 at 12:25 am
Treefiddy BRONZE, Tarzana, California

The American people, in a fit of fear and confusion, voted in the most liberal senator in the United States Senate. They judged him not on the merit of his experience, not on his associations, not on the substance of his words, but the empty rhetoric and slogans which people substituted the actual substance of his words for what they believed he stood for. He has nationalized more of the American economy more than any other President. He said he would do all of these things, and most of us ignored him. He is destroying the economy, spending more money than any man who has ever lived, rasing taxes, and smothering business with regulations which result in more loblessness and the destruction of wealth.

What we are seeing is the politics of plunder.

Swindlewick SILVER, ..., Washington

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." ~Voltaire

I wish the republican candidate was somebody other than McCain.  I don't think as many people wanted Obama as people just didn't want McCain.

Also, Obama promised change, but I'm not liking the changes.  He's not my favorite president.

Persona BRONZE said...
on May. 4 2010 at 10:53 am
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
Perhaps you should've taken my comment into perspective:  Try reading the article. Don't just go off tangent and discuss what you please in response to someone else, when it isn't concerning what their talking about. I, as you seem apparently unaware, was discussing the closing of Guantanamo Bay. Not seeking to prove that the person you are detaining is an actually is terrorist is not "human error", it's systematic error.

saimne SILVER said...
saimne SILVER, Cerritos, California

I see humans, but no humanity.

this is all of US soil, which is not what iwas addressing. of our soil, we have to work around the obstacle of communicating and cooperating with the nation we are in. this can obviously lead to horrible miscommunication. also, can you put these mistakes into perspective? if these are the only mishaps out of 100, then this info is just pure human error. but it were more like 1/10 then we're talkin.

the terrorist attacks i refer to are the ones by terrorists detained on our soil, scheming on our soil to destroy our soil. 

Persona BRONZE said...
on May. 3 2010 at 11:09 am
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
You entirely over estimate our intelligence. Our intelligence also told us about weapons of mass destruction when we got into the war with the middle east in the first place... WHOOPS! But, whatever, I suppose you don't care about the Australian who was detained without trial, unjustly, kept away from his family in terrible conditions, because he was sight seeing and caught up in the battle. Or the British couple that were sight seeing in the middle east, and also detained, unjustly, without trial. But, yeah, I guess they deserved being treated like terrorists. These people were just recently released, after years of their families begging for a trial and release, to which the courts announced it wasn't in their jurisdiction. If we supposedly have so much dirt on them, why don't we just give them the trial anyways? They'll obviously be found guilty. I mean for goodness sake, aren't we better than this? Didn't we learn anything from the Red Scare? The witch hunts? Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

saimne SILVER said...
saimne SILVER, Cerritos, California

I see humans, but no humanity.

terrorists dont deserve trial. (well what if theyre innocent) our intel is so awesome that we've got so much dirt out these radicals! with these methods we've stopped atleast 50 terrorist attacks!

TheMaisinator BRONZE, Leeds, Maine

"Maybe we should develop a Crayola bomb as our next secret weapon. A happiness weapon. A beauty bomb. And every time a crisis developed, we would launch one. It would explode high in the air - explode softly - and send thousands, millions, of little parachutes into the air. Floating down to earth - boxes of Crayolas. And we wouldn't go cheap, either - not little boxes of eight. Boxes of sixty-four, with the sharpener built right in. With silver and gold and copper, magenta and peach and lime, amber and umber and all the rest. And people would smile and get a little funny look on their faces and cover the world with imagination."
~Robert Fulghum

People don't know what they're talking abouttttttt!  There was probably silence because your friends didn't either.  This doesn't make sense.

alwayswriting14 SILVER, Northport, New York

"Everything makes sense yet nothing makes sense."

You totally get the right idea. Obama was a bad choice. I mean, look at Obamacare? In 2005 he was not okay with the 51 vote thing but now he's ready to do it himself with healthcare.

ILoveCoffee BRONZE, Airdrie, Other
ya, but would you rather watch your family die?

Persona BRONZE said...
Persona BRONZE, Hanford, California
You can support troops without supporting inhumanity(especially detaining people for said torture without proper trial. "Secret evidence" is bull). What is the point of fighting a war based on principle if we lose our own principles in the process? As far as that goes, one doesn't even have to support the war to support our troops. Rise Against puts it nicely. "Support the troops, end the war."

CreativeWrite, Littleton, Colorado
If your in a bad position it doesnt give you the right to do wrong