Facebook Frenzy.

“Ohmygod, he friended you?”
“I know! I saw the wall-to-wall!”
“Did you see Stacy’s new album? Were you invited to that party?”
Ugh. This can often be the basic gist of conversation in my ninth grade homeroom…just buketloads of gossip and talk and slightly frightening obsession with Facebook. It’s so disappointing to see the extremely lowered quality in conversation from, say, 6 months to a year ago to now. It seems as though the only thing anyone gives a hoot about anymore is making sure their profile picture is hot, and they’re friends with anyone who’s anyone.
I’m not really against any of the morale issues: privacy, or resulting lack of physical activity, or whatever else parents and adults care about because I am a teenager along with the rest of them, and I most certainly do spend time on the computer; e-mailing, some shopping, and of course writing, but who needs to spend endless hours just browsing through pictures of their friends giving the camera peace signs and “pouty faces”, reflecting how pathetic their own lives are because they don’t have an album posted based on meaningless symbolism and too much makeup.
This vortex of time wasting appeals to the vast majority of teenagers and beyond, which, to me, is really just sad and disappointing. When so many other productive or at least genuinely entertaining things are available for almost anyone to spend their time on, why have social networking sites latched onto the population like stubborn leeches? Communication is fantastic, but too much of it can be simply unhealthy. I know a guy who updates his Twitter account every time he enters a new room, eats something, or goes to the bathroom. Has there ever been a better opportunity to use the phrase TMI?
I know that long distance relationships and friendships can be tough, but between phone calls and visits (not to mention e-mailing, which is just as free as Facebook!), I really can’t see much of a lengthy argument there. Plus, there’s texting and my personal favorite: good old snail mail. When was the last time you got real mail from anyone besides Netflix and ConEd? Doesn’t that lack of real and actually fun long-distance communication get the better of you?
I may just be coming off as a slightly creepy and technologically ignorant 40 year old trapped in a 14 year old girl’s body, but if you see it my way, I hope you’ll grasp that a lot of good things in life don’t need to be commented on by your hot neighbor or put on the World Wide Web for anyone- oh no, mustn’t be inaccurate; just your very close and personal 500+ Facebook friends to see. Think about it: wouldn’t you rather be riding your bike?
Reading a book?
Curing cancer?

Archangel1410This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I do have to admit that fb is addicting to an extent. And that a lot of people talk about it. But we arent all obsessed with it. At least guys arent that obsessed. And I know plenty of girls who arent either. We have FB only to talk to each other and to just let others know whats going on. Its not a waste of time if you are trying to get a message to someone about an important event of some sort. Also if you need help on something, you can get it in a moments notice from your friends. Where as e... (more »)

TheMusicalFaery said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 7:36 am:

I agree- I myself think that Facebook is a waste of time. I used to have an account- my friend helped me set it up the day after my thirteenth birthday, and for awhile I had a lot of fun. I actually got pretty addicted, to tell the truth! But then some of the people I had on my friends list started posting mean comments, and everything became this huge big drama, and before long I decided to deactivate my account. Now, I refuse to even consider going back on! I have better things to do with m... (more »)

whatireallythink said...

agreed. All my friends have facebook--I don't--and at first I was really annoyed by the obsession over it all. They're not so bad now but I still get the "left out" feeling sometimes because I'm not on facebook. I do look at my mom's facebook page and read their posts, see their pictures, and all that--if I feel like it. They've stopped emailing me mostly. I don't even call them as much as I used to. When I go to their houses, they have to get on facebook when I'm there.

I'm not allowe... (more »)

yan-bear said...
This is a really great article, and I mostly agree. In my opinion, Facebook is great to communicate with people who we like, but are not all that close to. You know how somtimes you randomly start remembering some middle school classmate who you used to sit next to in pre-algebra, wondering what they're doing? Whereas a few years ago you'd continue to wonder, now you can just look them up and find out everything (and occassionally more than everything) that you ever want to know about their life... (more »)

sshfaryal said...
May 22, 2010 at 9:13 am:

I agree with a lot of this.

I think Social Networking is a new, convinient way to communicate, but like someone else said, it should be used in moderation. There are other ways to talk to people My own sister often acts like the only way she can reach someone is through facebook, when they actually just live next door or she has thier phone number. It bothers me that whenever shes away from the computer, she "misses" facebook.

Which is why I made the decision to deactivate my fa... (more »)

sshfaryal replied...
May 22, 2010 at 9:14 am :
I don't know why this repeated itself, sorry. And sorry for the rant, haha.

LaceyEmm said...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 10:55 am:
Okay so I get what you are saying, how technology has overpowered us and how we all victims of it, gospel according to larry kind of stuff, right? But why don't you move with the technology instead of going against it? I mean, sure Facebook and Myspace and Twitter is ridiculous sometimes, but it lets you connect with other people throughout the world. Plus, they are called SOCIAL-NETWORKING SITES, which means they are meant for social acivity. Not just pouty faces, and saving the world peac... (more »)

Butterfly13 said...
Nov. 30, 2009 at 8:47 am:
You're being a little to judgemental, dude. I mean yeah i don't love every aspect of the article but your acting like you know her or something...

jmc.13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
A-Boy, thanks for your input and the fact that you found my Facebook Satire to be intriguing enough to look up other pieces that I wrote. FYI, my poetry is fictional, and really should not be considered statements of fact. Please keep this in mind when you're reading other fictional pieces as well.

Thank you everyone, for your comments. I would like to point out that though I appreciate your critiques, I do not ever write with any sensorship towards the feelings of my readers. If I did, I could never write anything interesting, because whatever you write, you will offend someone. And as young writers, we should all understand that sensorship will harm us rather than help us. This goes beyond the subject of Facebook, though that is a very good example. Please, do not think about who will re... (more »)

lizzyreilly replied...
Apr. 7, 2011 at 10:42 am :
Not to be "this kid",  but censorship has a 'c'. Sorry, I just thought you would want to know.

Butterfly13 said...
I know what you mean about "friend amount." My cousin has over 900. I only have 51, and most are relatives.

Thank you. And I know some people use Facebook for somewhat productive or understandable reasons, but I had to use extremes for the sake of the article. Thanks again!

Jezabel said...
i didnt get a facebook till 9th grade. and the only reason i got on is because my family lives in other countrys so i can still chat to them. but ur article was really good, who has that many friends? i have 30some. and half of them are aunts and uncles. i love the arcticle

vlm1687 said...
Sept. 30, 2009 at 11:25 am:
JMC, I can understand that at your age Facebook probably is the highlight of conversation within the classroom and sadly maybe even to some people's lives, but to adults or just anyone who's half mature, it's just another accessory on the internet which we use to keep in contact with old or current friends.
If you're going to ridicule Facebook, you might as well mock the internet as a whole. What Facebook is to you is likely what MSN was to me six years ago. In fact, I ... (more »)

morgie7<3 said...
Hello...this article was very good but can also be insulting to a lot of people. I post albums of me and my friends just goofing off having a good time, and making piece signs at the camera. So what? I can look at each picture and its in some way connected with a memory. But my life isn't pathetic. I'm a Christian, have a wonderful family and group of friends, and like to help people and make my life meaningful. I love Facebook, and comunicating, and I probably use it too much. ... (more »)

withoutamuse This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Using tools like facebook or twitter is in now way wrong. It's a new, convenient way for people to communicate with and share in the lives of others. However, like all good things, they should be used in moderation. Too much exposure is certainly not a good thing, but there's nothing wrong with keeping up with friends through means other than phonecalls and face to face conversations. I agree with what you're saying... it's sad to see young generations wasting their time and ... (more »)

thank you broken hearted girl. i have never had a facebook but due mostly to my age i am exposed to it much more than i'd like....and i hate it. Thanks for your support, and you might want to consider deleting your fb if you feel this way.
Thanks again!

~*The-Broken-Hearted-Girl*~ said...
i think this is absolutely true. good job!

~*The-Broken-Hearted-Girl*~ replied...
Oct. 28, 2009 at 8:23 pm :
sadly, now i have to say that i agree with morgie7<3 right now because i just saw the "pouty face peace sign" apparently to my mom we are traveling back to the 80s and if we make peace signs we make peace signs it's what we do. we like to goof of. so what. and a lot of them don't even wear make-up because whenever i wear eyeliner people call me emo. i liked your article but... the too much make-up statement and the pathetic lives, really doesn't make me feel very good.