2012 Sweepstakes

Although President Obama has not even resided in the White House for more than a year, it is never too early to consider the potential opponents for President Obama in 2012. The Republicans surely would like to take the residence on Pennsylvania Avenue back, but have to strategize to find the best candidate to improve upon the image of the Republican Party. Therefore, I have compiled what I believe are the four strongest candidates for the GOP, based upon a myriad of factors that make them potential 2012 presidential candidates.

Firstly, I choose Governor Sarah Palin based on distinct reasons. Yes, I know, she may not be the most qualified candidate, but she is one of the Republicans that will most likely run. Assuming office as governor of Alaska in 2006 and stepping down as governor after three years, she now has time to reconcile her key issues to form a coherent message that America is looking for. Still plenty of time until 2012, Governor Palin will be able to gain more experience and be better prepared than she was in 2008 as the Republican vice-presidential nominee.

Now, this fellow surely cannot be questioned about his experience. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is a political veteran. He was a major Republican figure in the 1990s; Time magazine selected him as the Person of the Year in 1995. In recent years, he has continued to strengthen his image outside of political office. Founding the organization American Solutions for Winning the Future, he wants to strengthen the foundations of the American society by combating the issues that face our community. This may hint at a potential 2012 presidential run.

The Magnolia State may hold the key to the White House in 2012. Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi is another potential presidential candidate. As governor, he gained recognition in helping Mississippi recover from Hurricane Katrina. Having a respectable image among his fellow Republicans, Governor Barbour may be the conservative face that the Republicans may need when 2012 comes along, but his history as a lobbyist may result in affecting him negatively.

Up in Minnesota is a governor that may see himself as the Republican presidential candidate in 2012. Governor Tim Pawlenty clearly has a strong background in Minnesota because he has been governor there since 2003. Along with that, he has been and is in the national spotlight as well. In the 2008 presidential election, he was considered a strong vice-presidential candidate for the Republicans but Governor Sarah Palin ended up getting the nod. Among other accomplishments on his resume, he has chaired the National Governors Association and was campaign co-chair of 2008 Republican presidential candidate John McCain. As for 2012, Governor Pawlenty may be a likely contender for the Republican nomination.

There are several other Republican presidential candidates that we may see in the spotlight in 2012, such as Charlie Crist of Florida, Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, and Mike Huckabee of Arkansas. President Obama may never need to mind the Republicans in the 2012 presidential election as long as he keeps up his popularity across the nation. Nevertheless, until 2012 comes along, this story is not finished.

miami said...
Well researched article about politics! I like it!

r101 said...
Sept. 20, 2009 at 9:43 am
Interesting

Jet_plane_number_5 replied...
I agree. I find it very interesting and I like the way you researched the facts. Though I feel the complete opposite way about the people mentioned in your article, I appreciate how you backed your claims with evidence, instead of simply saying "Vote for ____________!" I think the article is well written and a great opinion piece!