Why A Border Wall Makes Sense | Teen Ink

Why A Border Wall Makes Sense

I watched President Trump's address to the American people and while I did not agree with his exaggerated rhetoric, I did agree with his logic. Honestly, it doesn't seem so crazy that we need to build a wall.

It's kind of funny, because some of my friends and I were talking about the upcoming season of Game of Thrones and we were talking about how important the Wall was for the safety of the people of Westeros. And if it weren't for some dragons (the good ones), the people of Westeros would already be extinct from the Whitewalkers. It would be cool to have dragons protecting our borders, but when's the last time you've seen a dragon? But then again, when's the last time we had a mad king? (or do we have one now?)

To all those that boo hoo the wall, here are some things you should consider:

1. It's the zombie apocalypse. Should we build a wall?

2. There's a prison 2 miles away from the city. Should we remove the walls, gates, cells, and barbed wire from around and within the prisons? I'm not trying to compare immigrants to convicts, but it needs to be said: the wall is being proposed to deter illegal immigration as well as illegal contrabands. Illegal is illegal.

3. Should we go ahead and remove the walls from the National Zoo? Walls provide protection, there is no denying that. 

4. Should we remove the fences around our houses and garage doors? If walls don't work, then what's the point of having them in and around our own properties. Oh that's right, the LAW requires it. More on this later.

5. Remove the locked gates and walls from Soldier Field and Wrigley Field as well as all athletic arenas. Hey, if someone is determined to trespass, they're going to trespass. A wall won't prevent them, right?

So I asked my dad the same question, and here is what he had to say:

"Pay me back for that fence we had to build around our pool"
City ordinance required that we build a fence around the pool that we have in our backyard. If borders don't make a difference, why make us build the fence?

"Remove the fences and gates from around the salt piles throughout the state as winter is here and us taxpayers would like to get in and use some of the taxpayer-funded salt for our homes as a matter of safety."
You want us to be safe right? Let us salt our own roads with the salt that our taxes paid for. Why can't we access the salt? Because it's guarded by a wall!

"What's with the hypocrisy? In 2013, you voted for Senator Chuck Schumer's $46B bill that restricted illegal crossing of the Southern border funded 700 miles of fencing, walls, and barriers and penalized illegal aliens far greater than anything proposed by President Trump."
So what's changed in 5-6 years?

Please stop the hypocrisy, the comments that defy common sense and start doing your jobs. Walls, fences, barriers, and gates work....it's really kind of simple, walls protect people, property and provide safety for all involved.

Building a wall to keep illegal immigrants from enter our country is pretty simple common sense. How can anyone disagree?

on Jan. 11 2019 at 4:42 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Bravo! Way to put in your two cents in a very non-partisan way. Thank you for giving this to TeenInk.