Protect LGBTQ youth | Teen Ink

Protect LGBTQ youth

By DestineeCarter BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina
DestineeCarter BRONZE, Durham, North Carolina

LGBTQ youth are being discriminated against at home and in school. The enormous amount of hate this groups receives effects on their mental health, and can sometimes lead them to commit suicide. While the students are treating LGBTQ youth with unfairness, the issues lie between the parents and the school system. Schools and parents should focus on educating children about this group; helping the youths to live a happy and more comfortable life.

Hate is something that a person learns. Kids are learning from their parents to hate a certain group because it is ‘different’, or something they simply do not agree with. According to an article by Gaell Jocelyn-Blackman, approximately 28% of LGBTQ youths drop out of school due to discomfort in the school environment. They are often called demeaning names, such as f*****, and are constantly bullied by students. The parents need to take responsibility for their student's actions and work towards stopping this negative behavior. Teaching their kids to be more accepting and kind towards others apart of the LGBTQ group can change the damaging effects greatly.

The parents aren’t the only ones responsible for the environment this youth experiences. Students, as well as teachers, have been heard saying insulting things about LGBTQ youth, such as using “that’s so gay” as a different way of calling something stupid. The abuse this youth face can have an enormous psychological effect on students, especially since school officials overlook it. The school system needs to work hard to make sure students apart of the LBGTQ youth aren’t treated with unfairness and aren’t being bullied by their peers, or teachers.

LGBTQ youth have the right to an education and a happy home life. By parents and the school system working together to terminate prejudicial treatment towards them, they can create a more welcoming and happy life for LGBTQ youth.