Increasing Rate of Farmer Suicides In India | Teen Ink

Increasing Rate of Farmer Suicides In India

August 27, 2018
By Anonymous

Farmers committing suicide can be an embarrassing situation for any society, and the reason behind it should be paid attention immediately. India is an agrarian country and 70 percent of its population depends on agriculture economically, looking back at history we tend to see that India had a vast amount of land which was put to agricultural use. Records of the 19th century Indian History have reported Frustrations, revolts and high mortality rate among Framers especially the crash crop farmers. The effect of famine on farm output and agricultural productivity plus the amount of protections by the britishers on money lenders and landowner rights have subsequently contributed to frustration among farmers in India. The problem of farmer suicides is also termed as Agrarian crisis contributes to 11% of the total percentage of suicides in India, the inability to pay growing debt often by local moneylenders or micro credited banks to pay for high yielding seeds are the main reasons for this crisis.

Recent studies , as of 2017 have shown a subsequent increase in suicides specially in the states like Maharashtra, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Bihar, Up etc. Serious change in climatic conditions like droughts and famines might have also be a contributing factor .A study conducted in 2002, suggests that engagement in several entrepreneurial jobs such as venturing into new crops and their inability to meet their expected goal might also be one of the triggering reason for suicide.

We all know that our lives depend on the crops harvested by these farmers and so, the Government should immediately find out some ways to help these farmers. The Government should carefully take into account all those issues which compel the farmers to commit suicide and moreover, it should also fix all those issues immediately. In almost every village of the country, the condition of the farmers is more or less same. When they fail to repay their loans, they find it more convenient to end their life then to face the social humiliation.