Right to Bear Arms | Teen Ink

Right to Bear Arms

By glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California

In a time where gun control is a controversial topic in the political landscape, the interests of both sides must be included when formulating an opinion. Since the right to bear arms was included as a part of the Bill of Rights in 1791, guns have been seen as a historical symbol of American independence and self-sufficiency. However, society must acknowledge that times have changed from those of colonial militias. Through a series of Supreme Court cases and political controversies in the recent past, the United States government has attempted to increase gun control and impose stricter restrictions on certain individuals and parties. Limits on the right to bear arms are reasonable and justified because dangerous individuals are less likely to obtain guns, guns are stored in a safer manner, and less guns overall mean less violence and death, all of which contribute to a more stable and secure nation.

Recent measures have been taken to regulate the capabilities of somebody who desires to buy a gun. For example, “currently under federal law, all licensed firearms dealers must do background checks on anyone seeking to buy a gun” (Richards). States with background checks have seen a direct link to “lower rates of suicides than states without this legislation” (Giffords). On one hand, the Constitution outlines the right to bear arms which presumably could be interpreted as applying to everyone because nothing in specified about background checks or gun control. The second amendment which specifies the right to bear arms was ratified as a compromise between two political parties and an assurance to the people in case of a situation where state militias would need more power to fight against an oppressive government like the American colonists had done leading up to the Revolutionary War (Jasen). However, guns and firearms are more powerful than ever and have destructive capabilities beyond what the Founding Fathers probably envisioned two hundred years ago, especially if powerful weapons such as assault rifles are considered. In this sense, laws like the 1968 Gun Control Act which “imposed age restrictions for the purchase of handguns (gun owners had to be 21), prohibited felons, the mentally ill, and others from purchasing guns” (Jasen) are justified because the general public is better protected, and the safety of many people in society outweighs the individual rights of a few dissatisfied people.

Bills have also been enacted to further regulations on safety and storing firearms and weapons. For example, California requires “that all firearms sold in California be accompanied by a DOJ-approved firearms safety device or proof that the purchaser owns a gun safe that meets regulatory standards established by the Department” (Bureau of Firearms). The “U.S. General Accounting Office estimated that 31 percent of accidental deaths caused by firearms might be prevented with the addition of two devices: a child-proof safety lock and a loading indicator” (Giffords). Between “2005 to 2014, roughly 20,000 American minors were killed or seriously injured in accidental shootings; the majority of those killed in these tragic accidents were aged 12 or younger” (Giffords). Massachusetts in an example of a state where individuals are mandated “to securely store firearms in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other gun safety device” (Giffords). The 2005 Federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act made “it unlawful for any licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer to sell or transfer any handgun unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device” (Giffords). While citizens may have the right to own a gun per the Constitution, considering the high number of accidental deaths, (particularly those involving children), it is valid to impose restrictions on storage practices for the benefit of the greater good. When the gun ownership of one person endangers others, it is vital that society strike a balance to appease both the community and individuals, and gun control laws help to do this. 

Lastly, gun control is warranted because of the fact that less guns in possession mean a smaller capability and possibility of violence like a mass shooting. Studies have shown that the 33 states that adopted right-to-carry laws “experienced violent crime rates that are roughly 14 percent higher after 10 years than if they had not adopted these laws” (Donohue). Data supports the conclusion that “across developed countries, where guns are more available, there are more homicides” (Harvard Research Center), both in America and in the rest of the world. Even guns that are stored away and rarely used are still more dangerous than no gun at all. Moreover, it is simply logical that if only a limited number of people who are deemed thoroughly qualified to carry a gun are permitted, then the chance of violence, whether intentional or not, it also limited. When weighing the happiness of every individual equally, one gun owner’s feeling of security does not justify putting others in harm’s way.

In the end, it is critical to evaluate both sides of this argument and the interests of people on an individual and societal basis. Ultimately, as gun accidents and violence have increased over the past few decades and the availability of powerful and destructive firearms as well, governments on a state and local level have decided to step in and place limits on who can own a gun and established rules on proper gun safety. Although this may make carrying a gun more complicated for gun owners, these actions and limits are justified because they maintain the well-being of both sides and prioritize the protection of more people.

Bibliography

1.     “Firearm Safety.” State of California - Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General, 30 July 2017.

2.     “Homicide.” Obesity Prevention Source, 30 June 2016.

3.     III, John J. Donohue. “How US Gun Control Compares to the Rest of the World.” Stanford Law School, AP News.

4.     Jasen, Georgette. “5 Questions: A Constitutional Expert Discusses Gun Control.” Columbia News, 11 July 2016.

5.     Richards, Sarah. “Why Background Checks for Gun Purchases Have Gun-Owner Support.” The Hub, 11 Sept. 2015.

6.     “Safe Storage.” Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violencd.

I wanted to make a statement about individual rights versus greater safety of a nation.