The Importance of Religious Freedom and Diversity for Democracy    | Teen Ink

The Importance of Religious Freedom and Diversity for Democracy   

July 3, 2018
By glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
27 articles 4 photos 3 comments

America is a country largely built on the ideals of freedom and equality. The Founding Fathers successfully pushed for democracy and independence from the tyrannical British government and went on to set a precedent for government that other countries admire and look to emulate today. Among America’s system of democracy come freedoms that the people are allowed. For example, religious freedom and freedom of speech are two rights that all citizens can practice. Religious freedom and diversity are necessary for the health and success of democracy in America because they increase stability, maintain separation of church and state and encourage diversity, all of which contribute to a wholesome and balanced society.

Religious freedom promotes stability and order in society which is healthy for any country. Many of history’s bloodiest and most violent conflicts would have probably been lessened or at least deterred if there was religious freedom. For example, the Holocaust is an example of the devastating consequences of a lack of religious freedom. When the Nazis took over Germany and started to demand records and identification for Jewish citizens, they were, in effect, taking away religious freedom by persecuting a group of citizens based on their religion and no other basis. The Thirty Years war between the Catholics and the Protestants led to the death of millions of people and caused widespread destruction. The Rohingya crisis is currently a global emergency, and thousands of Muslim refugees have been displaced or killed because the majority Buddhist population does not accept their different views. In certain Middle Eastern countries, non-Muslim individuals are pressured to convert to Islam, sometimes in a violent manner. All of these are examples of how inadequate religious freedom has caused violence, war and death. Freedom of religion is necessary for the best interests of a nation because the ideal allows everyone to hold their own, individual beliefs and practice their faith in whatever way they wish. When everyone can pursue their beliefs, there is less conflict because there is less to fight over, increasing stability.

Freedom of religion and diversity is also critical because it allows America to maintain its stance as a secular nation with separation of church and state. With freedom of religion, it is difficult for a nation to declare an official religion that all citizens must practice. Separation of church and state is important because it helps uphold the public interest fairly, without interference of a specific religious dogma that not everyone may agree with. Furthermore, if the government were to recognize or respect a certain religion specifically, it would not be fair to other religions and could be seen as a form of favoritism towards a certain group or culture. Also, church and state not separated implies a theocracy which democracy in America is largely against. Instead of mixing politics with religions, the two institutions should coexist peacefully because it is healthier for a nation like America that values fundamentals of modern democracy like justice and equality. So, because separation of church and state is a basic principle of the Constitution, and religious freedom encourages this, it is greatly beneficial for American democracy.

Thirdly, diversity in America has allowed different opinions, perspectives and values. By valuing individuals from different backgrounds and demographics, harmony has been increased and social friction decreased. America has accepted immigrants into the country, many of them highly qualified in particular sectors in society, such as technology. Many of these immigrants bring values of hard work and family with them and contribute to the economy as consumers and producers. Furthermore, if you consider innovation and entrepreneurship in America, the diversity of people has been and continues to be a significant driving force behind many of the most popular inventions and creations of the modern age, from social media to Greek yogurt. The reasons America is so ahead concerning technology can be attributed to the different perspectives and ideas that make up the diverse workforce in the country. By having citizens of unique backgrounds that value different policies and shine support on important social issues that affect certain communities more than others like mass incarceration or gun violence, democracy in America is successful because the country is able to recognize and tackle a broad range of problems in society. In fact, it is probable that democracy would not have such an important and immense role in America if the population was homogeneous, and everyone had similar viewpoints and values. Democracy flourishes when citizens vote for different policies and legislation, and therefore, diversity is necessary for the system of government to flourish and all perspectives to have representation. Overall, the variety of ideas and opinions that diversity brings contributes to a healthy and successful government that values a wide range of issues and prevents certain groups’ problems from being overlooked in society.

In the end, religious freedom is necessary to decrease cultural conflict and tension in communities. Also, by maintaining separation of church and state, democracy is allowed space to thrive. The different backgrounds and perspectives that diversity of people brings has enabled some of the greatest inventions America has ever seen, innovation that many Americans have benefited from immensely. To conclude, freedom of religion and diversity not only contribute to a healthy government but are ultimately imperative for a country like America to continue thriving on the system of democracy that has largely helped make the nation as successful and outstanding as it is today.


The author's comments:

In a politically tense time, I wanted to make a statement about how vital freedom and diversity are to the success of our nation.