Kids Should Vote This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Global warming, stock market plunges, housing market at an all-time low, bird flu, and Americans dying in Iraq! When you’re a kid it feels like you’re letting adults plan your future. Adults are voting, but their votes affect the next generation. We are the ones who have to live with their decisions.

In our multimedia-based society kids are exposed to more information than ever. Television, Internet, and satellite news are available 24/7. Polar ice caps are melting, our troops are dying, and people are starving as we watch live. My generation is more aware of what is going on in the world than previous ones. My generation is more likely to be offspring of single-parent families, multi-racial families, and openly gay parents. The world has changed, society is different from when our parents grew up.

Kids are more socially and politically aware; so why can’t we take part in the political process? What would the political environment be like if kids could vote? Perhaps SUVs would be illegal - if you don’t get 35 miles per gallon, you’re off the road. Why are our troops dying in Iraq if no weapons of mass destruction were found? Perhaps we would bring the troops home now, if kids had a say. How come Katrina victims still need help, while we turn away economic aid from other countries? I would vote to accept help from foreign countries. Why does it matter if we agree with their government or leaders if they want to help? Also, my generation doesn’t care who makes up a family. I would vote that families are people who love and care for their children.

My hope is that because children of my generation have more knowledge, they will make the right decisions. My fear is that kids are so busy memorizing Red Sox stats, so concerned with Britney at the VMA Awards or with beating the newest video game, that they may not pay attention to what will affect their lives. On the other hand, don’t some adults focus on these less important things too?

Perhaps only the politically aware should vote, whether they are 14 or 104. If you don’t know how your vote will affect everyone, or how a candidate will govern, then don’t cast a vote. I guess kids couldn’t do any worse.

jimmyblair said...
today at 9:53 pm
I agree with you in that only the socially and politically aware should vote. However, that doesn't necessarily apply to a large percentage of people under the age of 18 (or people over 18, for that matter). Additionally, while some kids may have good ideas, they may not always be feasible due to their limited understanding on how our country functions. I think maybe instead of just saying "Hey, anyone can vote!" there could potentially be an 'exam' or some kind of test on current governmental i... (more »)

love_running said...
today at 7:33 pm
Some people may be intelligent, but kids can be one sided. Their judgement may be based on their parents' opinions. I agree that kids should vote though, because, afterall, we're still more aware than most adults these days.

9spacekingThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 23 at 10:19 am
If a 14 year old is not even responsible enough to drive, how can he/she listen to politicians, know their true stances and the problems of the world, and not be easily swayed by lame ads? They have to learn busily in school already; they simply cannot be able to have the privilege to vote! Who knows, the politicians may focus more on teen problems if we allow kids to vote! Nevertheless; a strong essay on the pro position.

theholychurchoftim said...
Jan. 22 at 10:16 pm
In theory, I like this idea. It poses a problem, however: most children these days either aren't smart enough or don't care enough to make intelligent decisions about our futures. As for the first group, their vote will most likely be swayed by the public opinion of social media, which in turn is created by the second group. That group is made up of children who simply don't care about or cannot comprehend their future, so their votes would be affected by their current state. Want a new vide... (more »)

meganahmed said...
yeah! this realy helps me  

JONJON2134 said...
Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:40 am
I totally agree, if we ware able to voice our opinions then we could impace our own future in a more direct way. And due to that we wouldn't have to live with the careless almost completely stupid things that adults vote for or do when it comes to the government. But maybe we can lower it to 14 because that seems like a more stable age group from my point of view.

faith1235 said...
I am a 12 year old a]nd I disagree completly. Kids most likely don't know that much about presidents wich they will learn more about when their older. They would get bored of the really long speeches thst the candidates make, so the kids wouldn't understand them. Kids could judge the candidates too quickly. Kids might also only chose what their parents or friends say and not what they think. And that is what I think.

graciesings said...
Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:34 am
I think children voting would be a bad idea. Reason 1.  There are enough stupid people voting that adding mixed-up children to the group could be (more) disastrous.   2.  Children usually have little knowledge of economics.  One of the main reasons the American economy is a wreck is that many adults don't understand economics.  Adding more voters who don't understand simple economic rules, like the law of supply and demand, could send the country ... (more »)

olokai said...
May 28, 2013 at 10:44 am
i totaly agree with this article but only 10 and up

BY THE WAY said...
BTW teens and children might sometimes be immatures but there are others who care just as much as adults and they might have a different  opinion than them. :) to you too

kat18 said...
katrina here loves to vote for anything.  

sallysunshine12 said...
Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:52 am
i think we should vote

Bones96 said...
  While you are correct that most adolescents have more information available to them through the internet and news. That doesn't make them capable to take on the responsibility. As adolescents our frontal lobe aren't fully develop till early to mid twenties. (to be clear the frontal lope is the part of the brain that tells us and understands the differences between right and wrong; as well as help make more logical, rational decisions.) Teenagers a lot of the time tend to make ra... (more »)

trip mane said...
yes they should vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazy guy said...
i think that kids should be given that responsibility

JayMoney said...
I agree with this article because i believe that children should have the right to vote and to have it counted. I fell that is really important as us kids and I take it seriously.

JayMoney said...

crazy guy said...
kids should not vote because they are not mature enough to be given that responsibility

umadbro said...
I think that kids should be able to vote. Its there future and aven thought they may make some bad decisions it is still their right. 

Migs M. said...
Well, the reason we (kids) don't vote it because we are not mature enough.  Most of the kids I have met don't care about politics or the economy.  Also, when the presidential elections come up, they say that they want to vote for someone  but when you ask them why you will most likely hear, "I don't know" and watch them give you a shrug.  This just PROVES that we aren't mature enough, or aren't smart enough to care.