Educator of The Year | Teen Ink

Educator of The Year

By 6overstreet GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
6overstreet GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

LEveryone should have someone they can go to, and that person for me is Mr. Johnson. I had him every other day junior year during fourth and fifth hour for one semester -- and each class was better than the one before.

In Mr. Johnson’s class, I was reminded how important I was. It’s crazy how the small things (like reminding someone there is always a person who cares) made my day 10 times better.

I couldn’t tell you how many times somebody complained about the work we had to do, and instead of Mr.Johnson saying, “Suck it up,” he would encourage us. And it was rewarding to get a “Good job!” no matter how hideous the final product was.

One of our projects was to make a spoon. Everyone had to use at least two metals. We also had a limited number of tiny, fragile saw blades. If we had 10 saw blades, I would at least get through half, if not more in one class period. It looked like a not-so-smooth spoon mangled up with barbed wire. Mr. Johnson  just kept on encouraging me.

I remember needing help in jewelry class. Mr. Johnson is like a superhero, always knowing when someone needed help. He would come over by my friend and me at the end of each class and ask us to yell “TIME TO CLEAN UP!” (Although we never actually had the confidence to yell it), Mr.Johnson didn’t care -- he proceeded to yell it with enthusiasm. I've never had a more accepting, encouraging, and devoted teacher as Mr. Johnson.
I know that as long as I am at arrowhead I will always have Mr. Johnson to go to, even if it is just to talk about how I can’t make a simple spoon, or weld it together. Everyone should have a mentor or an educator who will always be there no matter what. These and many more reasons are why I am nominating Mr.Johnson as educator of the year.