Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

nadya223 said...
I'm a girl and just started 6th grade. It's awful to think how my school work had changed due to the lack of rest and time I have. Usually I have TONS of schoolwork and finish at about 1 or 2 AM in the morning and I have to wake 5 hours later. Now, kids have to have 8 hours of sleep while mines is reduced to 3 or 4 hours. I'm so vexed! 

Nexxera said...
I have to agree with this article. In school, I have 8 teachers all together. Each teacher gives me at least 2-4 pages in my textbooks. FRONT and BACK. I get home at 2:30 P.M and start doing my homework once I get home. I end up finishing my homework around 8:00 P.M. My classmates and I also get an essay to write EVERYDAY. Sometimes I think it is a waste of time. 

Yukimura Miyako said...
Sept. 4, 2012 at 6:07 am:
Homework should basically just go into non-existence. then we'll have less global warming. I give this author a standing ovation & 3000 virtual bottles of Nutella.

bigdog said...
May 22, 2012 at 7:02 pm:
Seriously guys. according to the essay 71% of students spend less than 2 hours on homework. If there are about 6 hours in the afternoon/evening before tv and going to bed then you should finish homework just fine with plenty of spare time. The main problems that causes stress, depression, and lots of homework is the internet. You guys say you are doing homework while reading this blog. I know countless people who are also on facebook while doing homework. This causes them to spend and think they... (more »)

Yukimura Miyako replied...
Sept. 4, 2012 at 6:44 am :
This may be true. However, your last sentence is very ridiculous and I think you ought to put yourselves in the shoes of those who truly have too much homework and do not go on those sites that you speak of.

mike101 replied...
Sept. 24, 2012 at 10:23 am :
I agree about what you said that we have about 6 or more hours to do it.

Maryn replied...
Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:55 pm :
Congratulations if you get strait As in school and spend less than 2 hours on homework, but quite obviously you don't have the same problem. Try telling this to someone who had ADHD or ADD or any other disease that causes you to become easily distracted. Are they fooling themselves? Use of the internet is a choice. Homework is not. In fact, the internet is often a required tool to complete homework so, again, what about those kids who are easily distracted and need to use the internet for ho... (more »)

annabanana replied...
Feb. 25 at 8:06 pm :
I agree, being in eighth grade the workload should be little, and middle schoolers have enough time to do this work, if this is too much now well just wait until youre a junior in high school

noble143 said...
May 8, 2012 at 11:39 pm:
i find this site and its essays very useful so i would like to join this site for various purposes

Xtreme788 said...
I am in 9th grade with many honors classes. I am currently doing hw, and almost done. Been doing it since 7:30 after i got back from boxing. I am so mad, i had to quit basketball, favorite sport sinvce the first grade and now hw is killing it all.

Some Girl said...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 12:31 am:
I think the trouble comes from teachers not talking to each other and assigning things that are all due on or around the same time. That puts a lot of stress on the student. Some kid might have a huge English book report to write that's due on April 2, and it's March 25th. Then they go to History class and get a six page essay on the Spanish Inquisition also due on April 2. Then they go to Science class and have to write a biology report that's due on, you guessed it, April 2. Add in the classes... (more »)

Xavier said...
Mar. 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm:

Wooowie! I can tell you're a good student! However, I slacked off in middle school and didn't do much of anything. I had bad study habits and time management, and I slept at around twelve, but that's just my fault. 

Freshman Year:  High School. I've decided to step up my game. After all, I'm attending the top rated high school in my area, and it's going to be pretty competitive.

Unfortunately, even with my resolve, the bad habits I picked up middle school took their to... (more »)

TeamPeeta4Sure said...
I agree, greatly! My English teacher made me do a homework assignment on this persuasive essay on too much homework! Despicable! Anywhoo, I have seen signs of depleting grades, stress, and depression because of the homework I receive everyday. Luckily, my algebra teacher (who I loved) was replaced by a younger female algebra teacher with experience as a high school math teacher. Now you must be wondering, why do I say luckily when I also mention that I love my previous algebra teacher? Because s... (more »)

hehehehehehe said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:29 am:
this is so true

aaaaaaaa said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:29 am:
billy is awesome

soooooooooo said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:28 am:
my school gives so much homework

RebDawG_129 :P replied...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 5:42 am :
My school gives lots of homework, and i'm yr 9, Researching a damn websotes for this... to have a speech. It's ridiculousi get between 45 mineutes and 2 and a half hours homework in AUS.

Zeosrule said...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 12:58 am:
At my school (BASIS) there is a joke in my grade (6th) I used to have a life... 5 months ago.

95453164621565 said...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 9:34 am:
that sucks cause i dont have a lot of homework...ever

NomNomCookie said...
Then don't go to school in China. I use to have school there and you get homework from every class everyday with no breaks and my cousin does not have any classes yet she stays up until midnight doing homework! It was very miserable and hard.