Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

zingenzombie said...
Mar. 30 at 10:43 pm
I completely agree, I am in middle school averaging about 3 and a half hours of homework. The problem is parents just think of their old homework, they think it has not changed. This is not true, if you show your parents a math question they are clueless. Things have been discovered and everything gets put In books, this has truly increased homework. Teachers may say students should only need 20 minutes for an assignment, that does not make sense if every student in the class spends an hour an... (more »)
sallysunshine said...
Mar. 26 at 12:36 pm
Great job!!!!!
SchoolGirl12 said...
Mar. 23 at 1:13 pm
I'm doing a debate for this and I wanted to have some other people's opinion on both negative and positive. Thanks guys.
AnsonL169 replied...
Mar. 31 at 5:02 am
I have a whole speech that I am using for the same purpose as you. My team is arguing that homework is a good thing. I can send you a copy if you like after my teacher gives me feedback after we present to our class.
Zayna D. said...
Mar. 16 at 9:32 pm
ocean-blueThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 12 at 10:05 pm
Really good. Great research, and I totally agree! You have an amazing writing style, too! Keep it up!
synchroskating said...
Mar. 10 at 10:15 pm
Freshman in high school, all advanced and honors classes. (advanced is offered for math and spanish, it is harder than honors.) I have field hockey after school until 5 or 6, and figure skating from 7-9. I barely have time to eat, much less finish my 3 or more hours of homework! I can't do this anymore.
Coolerica02 said...
Feb. 25 at 9:38 pm
Wow.....middle school sounds horrible. I'm in 5th grade and homework is mostly easy and usually a paragraph and 5 math questions.
Steve replied...
Mar. 4 at 2:54 pm
Yup. Ur in for hell buddy. Oh well. Enjoy the rest of ur life in school. It sucks. Homewok, homework, homework. All busywork.
cjs01 replied...
Mar. 16 at 6:45 pm
middle school has its ups and downs, mostly downs.
brisabwabwisa replied...
Mar. 17 at 9:13 pm
I'm in middle school (8th) and do over 4 hours of homework. Yeah, so much stress is happening and this is the page where I landed because of that :)
NatiMichaelis replied...
Aug. 12 at 11:00 am
Middle School wasn't too bad for me and i was in honors, high school now that my friend I hate :(
love_running said...
Feb. 12 at 7:25 pm
This is so true! I am a freshman, in all honors classes, and on the varsity track team at my school. The amount of homework my teachers assign is pathetic. I almost always have multiple assignments in every class. I start my homework at 7 and don't finish until 11. We also have tons of tests and quizzes to study for and a surplus of projects to complete.
Eric E. said...
Feb. 6 at 9:57 am
The article “Too Much Homework, Too Little Time” expresses the viewpoint of LAXdoubleK on how students seem to get overloaded with all kinds of homework. I, however, feel I always have enough time to get my homework done and still get to bed at a decent time. I am a junior in high school and play basketball, baseball, and golf, and I participate in marching, concert, and pep band. My GPA is currently a 4.0 and I don’t ever fell crunched on time to get my homework done. When students co... (more ») replied...
Feb. 13 at 5:07 pm
Honestly, it is great that YOU personally are in the position of which doing your homework and still having time for other things. But just because YOU are able to do 2+ hours of homework per night doesn't mean everybody else is. Clearly many are struggling to keep and deal with the amount of homework they are receiving per night as this isn't just a handful of people saying this, but rather a whole generation. Surely that should alert people that the amount of homework given is TOO much. Your ... (more »)
DietCokeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 6 at 3:14 pm
Eric is kind of right. Procrastination probably consists of 25% of the time I'm supposedly doing homework. Here are some tips for those of you struggling: Create a work area for yourself free from distractions (phone, roommates, T.V.), and commit to staying there for a one to two hour period. Recognize that your obligations and resulting stress are as important as other people's needs, and set limits around being interrupted or rescheduling your work time. Break larger tasks, such as papers or p... (more »)
ChristianCapersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 29 at 11:29 am
You're so right! Teachers make you stay up till midnight, expect you to come early enough to get your first class and ask "Why are you all so tired?" Something must be done.
Steve replied...
Mar. 4 at 2:54 pm
I fell asleep in class today. You want to know why? Cause im f*cking tired
APUSHneedADEATH said...
Jan. 21 at 10:32 pm
Just don't take AP US History and you'll be fine.
highschoolsucks said...
Jan. 18 at 9:09 am
I'm a year 10 student and get between 10 and 15 pieces a week. Most of it is unnecessary