Too Much Homework, Too Little Time

It's all over the news: kids are spending a lot of time on homework. And, according to some, it's way too much. With the current emphasis on high-stakes testing, educators are trying to do more with less, which can result in an overabundance of schoolwork outside of school. Some critics say there is no evidence to suggest that homework is helpful to student achievement; on the contrary, too much of it can overwhelm students and cause them to disengage. Others, however, claim that homework is necessary and helpful, designed so students can practice the concepts taught in class, build good study habits, and reflect on their own learning.

As an 8th grade student who is in advanced classes, I think that homework is the cause of my depleting grades. Now, you’re probably going to think that I’m like any other kid in middle school that hates homework and that to even spend another second reading this will be a complete waste of time, right? Even so, just hear me out because I have several reasons that might just change your mind.

I have thousands of assignments every week; most of them homework assignments. As a result, I’m cascaded with homework every day, causing me to stay up until 11 o’clock at night more often than not. Obviously, this is a threat to my health as a developing teenager. It could stunt my growth, and result in fatigue and stress because everyone knows that no good sleep leads to no good grades. Even if I were to go to bed at a decent time, my homework wouldn’t be finished. Either way is a couldesack at the end of a road.

Stress is very unhealthy for growing teens and statistics show that 29% of 13-year-old students report spending 2 hours or more on homework daily in the U.S. Isn’t that a bit much? More homework means more stress. Stress can cause many things including: lack of sleep, slipping grades, fatigue, unhealthy eating habits, depression, and many more other factors. A teen should not have to face depression at such a young age.

So why do teenagers still have so much homework?

One of the answers to that is that teachers often have children covering material at home by themselves that they do not discuss during school time at all. Of course, the teacher's reasoning for this is that there aren't enough hours in the day and he/she wants to cover more territory on a certain subject. But being taught how to do something by a piece of paper just isn’t the same as being taught by an actual human being. The teacher can explain things a different way if someone doesn’t grasp how to do something or they can respond to questions about the subject for better learning.

I couldn’t even count how many kids just take the easy way out and disengage from the homework given at my school. They refuse to do homework and it’s lowering their grades. But I can’t blame them because I ask myself on a daily basis why I don’t just quit already and join the rest of the crowd.

I could actually have a life then instead of doing homework all day. I could participate in extra curricular activities like I used to when I participated in lacrosse but now I can’t because my grades are slipping due to not finishing homework. I could do fun things instead of homework because it keeps me cooped up inside like a prisoner in a jail cell and I hate it!

Statistics even show that kids who participated in an extra curricular activity have less stress. The only thing is, is that they have less time for homework too. Homework takes away all of my free time to spend with friends and family; where I can just forget about all of my worries for an hour or two.

The amount of homework that teachers give sometimes is ridiculous and unnecessary. Homework can cause stress, depression, lower grades, and less time to do extra curricular activities or hang out with friends, so teachers, could you please not get so excited about homework next time?

Maxy1234 said...
Feb. 20 at 1:23 pm:
Im a 7th Grader... Currently doing my Geography Project with my Maths homwork and my Chemistry Assessment Practice. I come tired form School and dont have time to play Football my favourite Sport. Now I occasioonally go to play just beacuse of Loads of Homework. I HATE IT!!!!!!!!

sssooo tttiiirrrddd said...
Feb. 12 at 6:20 pm:
i know, and if teachers can't finish a lesson in their time with us, then they should not make us do it after school

Anonymous said...
Feb. 10 at 5:38 pm:
I totally agree because I am doing a project on homework, and I am in 7th grade.

Other Anonymous replied...
Apr. 6 at 9:40 pm :
Me too. It has to be 20 pages long... Ironic, huh?

aaaaaaaaawww said...
Feb. 5 at 12:34 am:
Wait until you go to Highschool, and then College or University. As someone who's walked in those footsteps, all I can tell you is that everything you will do in your current 8th grade will seem like a breeze upon entering highschool. The jump from highschool and post-secondary education will be one of the biggest educational as well as personal leaps you will take during your teen years, thus the high drop-out rates during freshmen year.   If I were to (Or if you were to after seve... (more »)

8th grade student said...
Feb. 4 at 5:22 pm:
I can see how some homework is a good thing, but now we have way too much, and alot of it is just busywork anyways!

OHSer4023 said...
Feb. 3 at 10:50 am:
I  go to Stanford OHS and we have regularly scheduled classes as well as multiple hours of homework. So for a regular 'Ohser' we have five classes which is 10-14 hours of class a week our homework is supposed to be 10 hours a week per class however for most it ends up being about 12 hours a week per class 12*5=60+14=74 which means regularly we have a 74 hour school week and that is just for middle schoolers.

AlyciaL.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 11 at 12:21 pm:
Great article! Very well written! I enjoyed it.

nicky1234567 said...
Jan. 5 at 3:18 am:
Teachers give way too much homework, especially if your in advance classes. My english teacher gave us a project to do during our winter break and I have ALOT of math HW to do which takes a long time to do each problem. I also have many things to do outside of school, so I only got to hang out with my friends once this break since it was one of my friends birthday, and celebrate New Years and Christmas, but that was practically it.

dtaylor971 said...
Thank you very much for this article! I am a twelve year old debating why homework should be banned. I have two hours of homework every night in ONE subject (algebra) and so do many of my friends. Thanks again for the article!

sally sunshine said...
Dec. 17, 2013 at 8:48 am:
I really feel that momework is a  stress.Iused to learn music earlier but as soon i came in 8th standard , i have no time to practice for it and i think that music is the best stress buster. i am completely with you on this topic. i think homework should be decreased.

mikey123 said...
Homework is given in abundant amounts to us. I'm just lucky I have time to write this up. I am in the seventh grade, and I believe that sometimes, too much homework is given to us, especially on vacations where I want to be with the family. Homework gets in the way of studying for my tests many of the time (I am an advanced class student). I have saturday school, giving me only one more day (sunday and part of Saturday) to finish my work every week. I plan to do my Saturday school homework w... (more »)

mhara replied...
Feb. 10 at 6:33 am :
thanks ilove you

cookie1234 replied...
Feb. 12 at 6:12 pm :
I know right, teachers always pile it on when you go on vacations.  Whats the point of going away if you will spend all your time finishing your homework, the reason you went away was for a break! 

inthecorner919 said...
Thanks LAXdoubleK!! I used your article as a resource for (ironically) homework.  I got a really good grade too!! I also posted my work on my account:)  You might be interested in that:P  Again thank-you!!!  

Rick is a Star said...
Dec. 4, 2013 at 6:39 am:
I am in 9th standard and i am having too much pressure.I want some of my teenink friends to give some tips about this

JBroccoli said...
As a 9th grade student and 3 sport athlete I can easily relate to this aritcle. i often stay up late nights as you said, doing homework or studing. I play basketball right now and I have practice every day so i have to get home do homework, go to basketball, come back and do more homework. I barely have enogh time to eat and take a shower. I have found that if I am assigned homework thats not due the next day that I should do the homework the night it is given to me. Your situation is the s... (more »)

MisterMartien said...
Too bad we hardly have time to manage.

snoefu said...
Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:03 am:
Nice point. Sometimes there are those nights that therr I only 1 thing and somtimes every period has homework  

nilo said...
um, i agree if homework has been a burden to us all and we see no point of having it in our school life. however, it is not completely useless and if you had given some of your time to do homework and reduce your time in catching up with those facebook, and other social networking, you wont get those problems such as lack of sleep and all that.. so its all about your time-management.