Prom-blem | Teen Ink

Prom-blem MAG

February 21, 2015
By Mikayla_Toce SILVER, Wethersfield, Connecticut
Mikayla_Toce SILVER, Wethersfield, Connecticut
6 articles 5 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Look Before You Fall." -Taylor Swift


Ah, prom, that four-letter word that somehow manages to drive all teenage girls insane. The dress. The shoes. The hair. The date! Why do we care so much about this one night?

Sadly, teenage girls attach a lot of our self-worth to this event. Prom becomes a way to show off. Girls who attend with a date feel superior to those who don’t. It feels as though if you aren’t asked out, you are unworthy and will be alone for the rest of your life. All teenage girls are beautiful and special in their own way. I think it is time that we embrace the unique traits that make us who we are – and stop worrying about whether we will get asked to prom.

So what if you don’t get a date? That doesn’t mean you can’t go to prom and have just as much fun as everyone else. One option that most people fail to consider is going to prom with friends. I love my friends, and we have so much fun together that I can’t imagine anyone I’d rather get dressed up and go dancing with.

We hear so much about prom that glorifies the romantic aspects, like proposals or taking pictures with your date. I blame social media for this. Just a few minutes ago, I went on Instagram and saw a bunch of prom proposals by people I know. Did it make me sad? Yes, because I want a guy to do that for me. And I know I’m not alone.

I’m feeling that time is running out and I’ll never be asked. Sigh. But I have to keep reminding myself that it’s only one night. It doesn’t reflect my worth or my future love life. It just reflects my desire to fit in with the crowd – a “need” that I wish I did not feel I needed.

So I implore you, don’t let prom get you down. Really. I know I haven’t met you, but believe me, you are beautiful, you are unique, and you have so many good things going for you. Females supporting other females is very important. We all may not like each other, but we all generally go through the same things.

I hope you go to prom and enjoy it – whether it’s with your best buds or with someone you’re dating. Just remember it’s only one night.