The Black Hole of Our Generation | Teen Ink

The Black Hole of Our Generation

December 8, 2014
By ABog21 BRONZE, Bedford, New Hampshire
ABog21 BRONZE, Bedford, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
everything happens for a reason


Social Media: noun, (usually used with a plural verb) Digital Technology

websites and other online means of communication that are used by large groups of people to share information and to develop social and professional contacts

One by one, every teenager on Earth is being sucked into a non-releasable black hole known as social media. They fall into the trap unknowingly, ignorance has taken over the teenage mind.  Today, the world is beginning to regard the stereotypical adolescent life as a game of "follow the leader."  When a student is seen on their phone, it is assumed that something more interesting is occurring on the screen than what is happening right in front of them.  Days are passing us by, and students are refusing to live in the moment.  Every day, another piece of teenage cleanliness is released from the brain, falling deeper into our generation’s greatest fault.  The invisible force is ruthless, our generation will soon be calling for help once it has realized that our internet addiction has taken over.  We have to react before we are in over our heads.  

Many students are unable to deal with the separation anxiety that comes with the detachment of a cell phone to the comfortability of the hand.  Facebook is chocolate, Instagram is cigarettes, Twitter is alcohol.  The addictions become stronger day to day, we feel lost and exposed when we are without our cellular devices, a touch away from social media.  Our generation is now up to our waist in the black hole.  Teenagers are not doing homework because they would rather be tweeting their lives instead of living them.  Peers are growing apart as they continue to ignore eachother in the halls, refusing to look up from their screens.  Our generation is the greatest cause of humanity's downfall.  While our world is slowly falling apart, we ignore the countdown of our days left on this planet.  Why did social media choose to destroy our generation?  More importantly, why did our generation let social media destroy us?  We do not realize how short life is, and will not until we put our phones in our pockets for good.  I know we would all love to look back on our lives without having any regrets.  Let us take the precious time we have been given and put it towards the creation of an amazing journey.   


The author's comments:

This piece was written at five in the morning.  I believe getting up early to finish homework creates a much better environment for the student.  Ideas are new and minds are refreshed.  This assignment is a topic I feel very strongly about.  I believe life is all about living in the moment.  Even though I commonly find myself starting at my cellphone, I have come to realize that time is precious and is too important to be wasted.