Can a Speck Make a Difference? | Teen Ink

Can a Speck Make a Difference?

November 5, 2014
By TeoTheLostBoy BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
TeoTheLostBoy BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You can't tell me there's something then leave me with nothing."


Do you believe you deserve equal if you are a citizen, pay your taxes and respect the laws? Well homosexual couples who do all of the above are still denied a right that others have; the right to marry. Homosexual couples should be allowed the right to marry  because they are people too and deserve the same rights as heterosexual couples. I believe that gay marriage should be legal everywhere because it’s harmless to other people, it will increase the amount of children successfully adopted and it will diminish youth suicide.


I believe that gay marriage should be legal because it’s harmless to other people. Gay marriage will have no impact at all on heterosexual communities. It’s just like racial integration had no negative impact on the majority, which was white’s, in the 60s. The only negative was the attitude people had towards it. It’s the same with legalizing gay marriage. It’ll give the LGBT community a right that has been denied to them.


Legalizing gay marriage would increase the amount of children successfully adopted. Many agencies will only release children to “married” couples, therefore rejecting homosexual parents, because it is not legal for them to be married. I understand that some people think that a gay couple raising a child is “unnatural upbringing” but gay has become natural. An example of gay being natural is in a kids movie, Paranorman, one of the most important characters was gay. It’s become natural. It publicly occurs all the time. If gay marriage is legalized a lot more children will be adopted and have homes.


Legalizing gay marriage everywhere will also diminish youth suicide. The majority of teen suicides today are being committed because of bullying towards a child about his/her sexual orientation. If gay marriage is legalized it will show teens that being different, in any aspect of our lives is not a social disability so that they won’t ever feel the need to take their own lives or hurt themselves because of their sexual orientation.


Gay marriage should be legal everywhere. It is absolutely harmless to other people, it will increase the amount of children successfully adopted and it will diminish youth suicide. If you’re against gay marriage, you’re just a speck. If you’re for gay marriage, believe it or not, we’re also specks. The thing is, if enough specks get together, change can happen.


The author's comments:

You don't have to agree.