Dedication. | Teen Ink

Dedication.

By Chloemk BRONZE, Bowling Green Oh, Ohio
Chloemk BRONZE, Bowling Green Oh, Ohio

Dedication: (n)

The quality of being dedicated to a task or purpose.
A feeling of very strong support for or loyalty to something.

Things take time.  Some examples are school, sports, and extra circular activities.  When you want to get somewhere in life, you work for it, and that takes time.  Sticking to something from the start takes time, and you can watch yourself become more enthusiastic and committed to something you enjoy.  I can relate to these things.  I swim, and it takes time and effort to get better, faster and stronger.  This may not be dedication to you, but for me it is.  I have a packed day, and try to use my time as wisely as I can, and that takes dedication.  Yes, everyone has to go to school, but trying in school is a different story.  I think that my dedication in swimming, using my time wisely, and working my hardest in school has gotten me far in my life so far.

I spend so much time in the water.  When you swim, there is no score, but there is time.  Time is the biggest part in swimming.  This could determine which college you get into.  It is amazing if you drop more than five seconds in a short event.  Five seconds is not that long, epically compared to two hours a night, year round swimming.  But working this hard could only lead to five seconds off a best time.  That is not it though.  Over the summer, swim practice starts at 6:15 AM, and ends at 8:30.  That same day, there is another practice, from 6:00 to 8:00 PM.  Four hours a day of straight swimming, all summer.  A lot of dedication has to be put in to jump into the freezing water every morning.

Second, I feel like I have dedication to living a well rounded life.  I go to school in the morning, and straight after that I do a school sport.  School sports are not every day of the school year, but the breaks in between field hockey, basketball, and track are limited to a week or so.  After that school sport, I have 45 minutes to eat and get as much homework done before I go to swim practice.  When swim practice ends, I end up getting home at 9:30 and have to do the rest of my homework then.  I spend a lot of time driving from school, to sports, and to home.  This is a packed day, and it keeps me busy.  I think this comes in handy for time management.  Dedication has to be put into this to keep swimming, and doing other sports, and get everything else done.

Lastly, everyone goes to school.  Some people like it, some don't.  The main thing here is that some kids just go to school because they are required to.  They don't try, or even think about what they are going to do with there life when they are older.  Last year, I wanted a phone.  I made a contract, and my patents agreed to it.  I had to get A's to get it, and have A's to keep it.  I worked so hard to get this phone, and finally did.  That took tons of dedication, to try my hardest, and to not give up on it.  I also believe that I am dedicated to the community of my school.  I participate in a lot of school sports, and go to school socials.  Even though they are fun, they are meant for getting everyone around you involved.

Dedication is very important to everyone.  If you are dedicated, this could possibly get you into college.  This could get you a great job.  People with dedication get very far in life, because they stick to something, and keep working at it.  I believe that I have dedication when because of swimming, using my time wisely, and trying my hardest.  This all takes time, and time is important to everyone, no matter what.