Teenage Angst | Teen Ink

Teenage Angst

By samanthastephens2 SILVER, Sellersburg, Indiana
samanthastephens2 SILVER, Sellersburg, Indiana

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment.
I told them they didn’t understand life." John Lennon

If only we were not stuck between this Heaven and Hell that is adolescence. We are too young to make our own decisions; however, old enough to be responsible for them. Our actions and ideas are constantly monitored and sculpted by our superiors, but then criticized if they do not mirror this unspoken need for constant perfection. This false sense of responsibility that has been casted upon us on our 18th birthday leaves us utterly confused when we are not trusted with a simple task; however, are forced to make decisions in the next two months that will shape our whole entire life. The pressure placed upon us to constantly live up to our parents’ hand-me-down, unsuccessful dreams of their own teenage years leaves us drained of our own passion and motivation to make ourselves happy. Figuring out who we are should not be a side project or some type of hobby next to completing unrealistic expectations that only fit the model child. This pressure to be the epitome of the perfect teenager gives us this lack of self-knowledge that creates a void that we fill with treachery and deceit. We are too busy living up to these expectations handed down to us that we often lose ourselves. Time goes by and while we were rushing to grow up, we forget to notice the changes we've all made. When was the last time we didn’t think of the car as a possible bedroom and we didn’t have to intoxicate ourselves to express real emotion? We all act like we were born to run away from anything good and we harm ourselves without knowing it. We forget to live in the moment because we are rushing for the future. We are all living but we don’t know what we are living for yet. If only we were not stuck between this Heaven and Hell that is adolescence.

Teenage angst and hatred for adolescence inspired this writing.