Plastic Surgery: An Ugly Trend | Teen Ink

Plastic Surgery: An Ugly Trend MAG

By MelodyBee BRONZE, Tarrytown, New York
MelodyBee BRONZE, Tarrytown, New York

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney

Society has always valued beauty. In literature, ­attractiveness often symbolizes an admirable protagonist, while ugliness indicates the abominable antagonist. As children we are taught, without even realizing it, to prize beauty. People of every race and culture have gone to extremes in the name of beauty – from foot-binding in China, to dangerously constricting corsets in Victorian times, to nose jobs in 800 B.C. India. While plastic surgery has been around since ancient times, it has only recently become accepted by the masses.

Television programs that promote plastic surgery – “I Want a Famous Face” on MTV, “The Swan” on Fox, “Extreme Makeover” on ABC, “Nip/ Tuck” on FX, and “Dr. 90210” on E – expose the public to a business once kept under wraps. Reality television embraces the topic due to its shock ­value – however, the public is becoming more and more accustomed to the idea of plastic surgery.

Not only have these programs created a generation that isn’t fazed by images of blood, Botox, or bandages. Sometime during the process of beautifying average humans, they have implanted something besides silicone: the belief that cosmetic surgery will improve lives. Now, not only do people accept plastic surgery, they embrace it as a solution to personal and professional problems. While appearance has always been important, mainstream acceptance of plastic surgery has created a society that values appearance over ability.

According to Drs. Iva Sorta-Bilajac and Amir Muzur, rhinoplasty developed in ancient India due to the practice of nose mutilation as a form of public punishment for immoral conduct. Therefore, the connection between an unattractive nose and an immoral being was deeply rooted in this society. While the nose is not a vital ­organ, it is exposed to everyone’s view and has ­become a symbol of integrity as well as an important ­aspect of ­human beauty.

Only a couple of decades ago it was considered taboo to admit having “work” done, and it was not ­unusual for patients to take extreme measures – sneaking into doctors’ offices through the back door, or using fake names – to hide the fact. As noted in the New York Times article “The Doctor Will See You, and Your Party, Now” by Anna Bahney, more patients became interested in procedures after seeing them on TV and researching them online. Currently, plastic ­surgery is so commonplace that instead of scheduling secretive meetings, ­patients often bring parents, siblings, spouses, or friends to consultations.

According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, nearly 11.5 million cosmetic surgical and nonsurgical procedures were performed in the U.S. in 2005. On the website The Medical Tourism Guide, readers are told, “Plastic or cosmetic surgery can help to boost confidence and vitality. In the case of cosmetic surgery, think of this procedure as an overhaul, much like you’d add that new roof or coat of paint to a car.” Some of the appeal lies in the way it is promoted, like statements that market surgery as a confidence-booster.

Our reality television shows are modern fairy tales. They all use a common formula: take an average, unhappy individual, alter her appearance, and after a surgical transformation she is magically a success. While the message is the same, there is one difference: these aren’t fictional characters, they’re real people.

The confidence that comes from a new nose, fake breasts, or liposuction is only temporary – physically (many procedures are not permanent and need to be repeated) as well as emotionally. Often, patients’ insecurities about their appearance are symptoms of underlying psychological issues, such as depression, and may be temporarily alleviated by surgery. But this temporary confidence is nothing in comparison to the confidence one can obtain by excelling in sports, academics, or a hobby. Marketing cosmetic surgery as a confidence-booster increases profits, but it also gives people unrealistic expectations. They believe that their life will change and are disappointed when it doesn’t.

After undergoing plastic surgery, many people finally feel accepted. By transforming into an ideal beauty, they earn the approval of others and receive positive attention. Some people even have “coming-out parties.” But while plastic surgery may appear to increase confidence, it’s often an illusion –
even to the patients themselves, who might confuse real self-esteem with the joy of feeling as though others approve of their appearance.

Psychologist David Sarwer believes the acceptance of plastic surgery goes beyond vanity: “We’ve become ­increasingly accepting of ways of changing our bodies. We’re much more comfortable with our bodies as malleable.” People have always altered their bodies, mainly through diet or ­exercise, so it’s no surprise that many view themselves as changeable. But what causes someone to want to alter his or her body? We all seek approval – from parents, spouses, children, coworkers, and friends. Even if it’s a subconscious desire, everyone wants to be deemed acceptable. Plastic surgery can gain the approval of others, but why should you care about the opinion of people who don’t see you for who you are on the inside?

Parents often pressure their children to do well academically, but with plastic surgery becoming so accepted, some parents are pressuring their children to have cosmetic work. Children as young as six are undergoing minor procedures, and 13-year-olds are having nose jobs. Doctors and parents who support these surgeries claim that the child understands. However, it’s more probable that she realizes her parents want her to change, and is willing to comply.

Some people feel pressured by their spouse to remain youthful or become more ­attractive. According to Donna Henderson-King, author of “Acceptance of cosmetic surgery: scale development and validation,” many women “desire to meet social expectations of beauty. Women are socialized to see themselves as objects to be looked at, and consequently view themselves from the perspective of others.” In this study, King found that the more shame women felt about not having met socially defined standards of beauty, the more likely they were to accept cosmetic surgery.

Plastic surgery constantly appears in pop culture. Many celebrities have had cosmetic surgery, and the American public is constantly exposed to images of these altered humans. In a Mike Williams cartoon, two women scrutinizing Rembrandt’s self portrait say, “You’d think that if he’d been that successful he would have had his nose fixed.” This is a perfect example of society’s belief that attractiveness is a necessary part of success. Rembrandt is a renowned artist, but the women in the cartoon are not discussing his artistic ability; they’re critiquing his appearance. Our society blatantly values appearance over ability.

This acceptance of plastic surgery, as well as the value of appearance over ability, affects youth. From a young age, children play with toys like Barbie dolls and burly action figures, with bodies that are physically impossible to achieve. Exposure to these “ideals” is damaging to the self-esteem of youths.

People have always wanted to look like society’s ideal. In the late 19th century, Irish immigrants in New York got “English” noses to transform themselves into Americans. The ideal ­appearance in society is always based on the appearance of the dominant group.

With so much importance placed on appearance, other attributes often come second. Young people are learning that they should aim to be beautiful instead of intelligent. It’s even a common practice for parents to reward high school graduates with nose jobs, breast ­implants, or liposuction. But is cos­metic surgery an appropriate reward for years of hard work and academic achievement?

In American culture, the mold of an “attractive” person is getting smaller and less forgiving of any differences. “The assembly-line look ultimately damages the notion of personal identity. We are in danger of doing something unthinkable, which is making beauty boring,” according to Dr. Nancy Etcoff. In a cartoon by Dave Carpenter, two men tell a stranger, “No, we’re not related. We just have the same plastic surgeon.” This pokes fun at the tendency for plastic surgery patients to appear generic afterward. However, there is some truth to this. On reality makeover shows, the subjects come out looking eerily alike.

Cosmetic surgery is no longer limited to the wealthy; banks offer loans for it. As plastic surgery becomes more mainstream, it’s interesting to ponder whether the value of beauty will ­decrease as it becomes something that anyone can buy.

Vanity in our culture has increased and become more acceptable. People are more open about their desire to be attractive, and plastic surgery no longer has a negative connotation. However, America is also the most medicated ­nation on earth. Ten percent of our population take antidepressants. It’s obvious that these surgeries are not ­really making us happier. Rather, they delay the process of some individuals seeking the necessary psychological help. Even the young aren’t immune to depression. More children than ever are developing eating disorders and poor self-esteem.

Happiness can be achieved, but not through surgery. People need to ­embrace their differences instead of trying to erase them. Only when we are at peace with ourselves will we be ­truly radiant.

coolness said...
god made u the way u were suppose to be made no accident thats the way your suppose to look.So i dont think people should get plastic surgery exept for heath resons.

tweedle dee said...
i think plasic surgury is fine if it is for medical purposes. some people need it to be healthy, but i hate it when people have little enough self esteem to change their face because they want to be "beautiful" that is so stupid, your face has nothing to do with what's inside. if you dont look like some celebrity on the outside but are a good person inside, you'll still be the same person just less healthy unless you need it, and if you arent a good person inside you need to turn to god not a plastic surgeon!!! and i hate liposuction, my aunt just had it and she looks like some anorexic half starved animal. it's terrible and she was really pretty before. to everyone thinking about getting plastic surgery pleas reconsider and remember that somebody loves your face the way it is no matter what you think it looks like. and god will ALWAYS love you for the way you are so dont change!!!

26nessa said...
I agree that cosmetic/plastic surgery is totally wrong when abused! For a deformation or something like that its fine, but when abused it messes up life and appearance! %Pr

toriibearr47 said...
I totally agree with you. everyones different body parts is what makes us all unique!

-first, people DONT CARE what you look like, or what the shape of your nose is, or what you cup size is! and if they ARE dumb enough to care, then they're not worth your time to even talk to because you BEAUTIFUL no matter what.

-second, whats the point to plastic surgery anyways,. why get a boob job and a liposuction, when in the end you'll be old and frail anyway. how would you like to be 80 years old, weighing only 100 pounds with size D bra. i know i wouldnt.

-third, what really bugs me is that when you get plastic sugery, if you were to have a child, they might have the nose, or stomach, etc what you had when you were their age. and you say "honey you dont need to change anything about you, you're gorgeous in every single way!", thats just flat out hypocritical, because you know on the inside that when you look at you daughter or son, and they have similar features, what you looked like before wasnt bad at all.

we all need to accept ourselves and embrace our uniqueness in every way possible. :)

Lucia said...
Regarding cosmetic plastic surgery:The voice of experience speaks here-

http://www.losingface.net

Please visit this link for a personal story of the real dangers involved in cosmetic surgery.

lucylunesjoy said...
I think plastic surgery is OK when you really need it but people who just want to change there looks are being stupid. They should think of themselves has beautiful. They should not care about how they look and worry about how they act.But I am a total Tomboy so some people may disagree.

lainielu13 said...
I think that plastic surgery is weird and people will think of them selves has beautiful and not want to change it.

mamamia said...
Plastic surgery is creating a generic face that is reminiscent of an old "Twilight Zone" episode that creeps me out whenever they play these old show. Today, you can instantly spot the tight, surprised, frozen, fish lipped, chipmunk cheek face. And if you are just a few feet away, you can see little bumps under the skin. This saddens me because I always planned on having a little work done when I got to a certain age but now, forget it. Im much too pretty to mess up my face and I'll just take care of myself and get old and die and be biodegradeable.

on Jan. 7 2009 at 4:00 am
yes I totally agree and look at the ad on the bottom of this page....how ironic

Sahar_SaiD said...
plastic surgury is abused because the wrong thing in this world is being viewed as beautiful!

Plastic surgery can be a good thing when performed as reconstructive surgery, but when a person is just not happy with themselves, there is a problem. If they are not happy with themselves one way, how will they be any happier looking another way on the outside? Instead, I suggest going to the gym and working out. Exercersise releases endorphins, which make you happier. Plus, the overall benifits of excerise are great. Don't go under the knife. It's a lot more painful.

bubbles96 said...
wow. i agree plastic surgery is not supposed to be abused!

woblium said...
on Dec. 20 2008 at 1:53 am
I liked the article ( ps this is ur brother lol) i heard like kids talking about it and then you put it as your status

Turion said...
I think this article is very ignorant of those who get plastic surgery because of a deformation that have either from birth or from an accident. Plastic surgery is good because some people would look a LOT better with it. Whether it be liposuction that could help save them from a heart attack because they are extremely overweight. also, if a person doesn't want to be stared at because of their big nose then they have the right to make it smaller and should not be persecuted for it.

on Dec. 18 2008 at 1:16 am
I honestly think people dont really care about such issues.

If we make a deal out of something that isnt, then we have an issue.

HOPEMVP said...
Some plastic surgery is good actually (family members experience) but it should not be abused.

Sra. Pousada said...
on Dec. 12 2008 at 3:36 am
I loved this article and think young people like Melody are the hope for our future. Most disheartening, however, was getting to the bottom of the webpage and seeing there an ad for on-line plastic surgeons!! There is more wrong with our society than our addiction to beauty, that's clear.

girlcat said...
on Dec. 12 2008 at 2:20 am
This is a wonderful article. It's so inspiring for a young woman to write this. As a middle age woman, I have friends who are obsessed with their appearance. They are not happier and many are on antidepressants. What isn't mentioned is what happens to the childen of these "perfect" adults are born. Funny noses, droopy eyelids, ears that stick out! They don't look like their parents. Thanks Melody.

on Dec. 11 2008 at 12:50 am
wow... this really was moving... :D i liked it, a lot of technical talk. hehe BUT we should except ourselves through God's eyes. Love yourself the way God made you. unless you've been struggling with a serious problem. then love yourself. :]

wolfmongoose said...
on Dec. 10 2008 at 4:50 am
It's scary. Everyone has this specific idea of what a beautiful person "looks like". Within the next 50 years or so, the problem will only worsen. People will look so alike, that it will be boring.

"Attractiveness is based on reproduction and we all want to do that." Is the world not overpopulated enough? Humans are taking up every last inhabitable corner of the world, leave room for the other species. Also, if two ugly people get plastic surgery and have a baby, chances are the baby will inherit the parents' unattractiveness. She will then grow up and get plastic surgery herself.

If we all look alike, and talk alike, and act alike and think alike, who are we?