The Top 10 Things That Parents and Teens Argue About | Teen Ink

The Top 10 Things That Parents and Teens Argue About

By starry_night BRONZE, Longmont, Colorado
starry_night BRONZE, Longmont, Colorado

The top 10 most common things that parents and teens argue about:

Hi! If you’re reading this and you’re a teen, then you probably got brain - dead from playing all those games and texting all your friends on your phone, and your mom said something like this:
“Take a break and go outside or something! It’s gorgeous out!”
And you said:
“Come on, mom. I’d rather read a boring essay about arguing than go and “play games” or whatever.”
Then she handed this paper to you with a smile, and said:
“Just read it. It’s worth something, I promise.”
So, to sum it all up, you should keep on reading until the end, because maybe you’ll end up finding out that you’re not the only one that gets into stupid, pointless arguments like this with your parents.
Anyway, I’ll leave you to it…

1. Mom: “You can’t wear this! It’s way to inappropriate!”.
I happen to have a lot of experience with this topic in particular. In fact, this morning my mom yelled at me for like 10 minutes because she thought that my jeans were too ripped, and too “showy”. Whatever. I wore them anyway.

2. Privacy
I have experience with this topic, too. I know that parents just want to “keep you safe”, but I don’t think that the definition of safe is them looking at every single text, website, call, picture, EVERYTHING on your phone. Isn’t it yours for a reason?
How would they feel if I looked at all their private information?

3. Phone Bills
Teens text A LOT. Period. This makes parents frustrated because it actually does cost money. Period.

4. “BUT ____ HAS IT! I WANT IT NOW!!!!”
I’m 99.9999% sure that teens say this about at least one thing per day. Fine. Not every day. But pretty much.

5. Money
Teen: “I want this!”
Parent: “I’m sorry, sweetie, but you’re only gonna wear that once.”
Teen: “It’s only $30.00!”
Parent: “Exactly.”
Teen: “What?”
Parent: “I’m not wasting $30.00 on that.”
Teen: “UGHHHH!!!!!”

6. When the parent sees one of their friends somewhere that the teen does not want to be
Okay, sadly, this may be the one category that I have the most experience with. Have you ever been somewhere with your mom, like the grocery store for example, and you’re exhausted and have an excruciating headache and just want to go home? Don’t worry, this happens to me all the time. They see one of their friends that they haven’t seen in “forever”, so apparently that means that they have to talk for “forever”! And then you’re just sitting there on your phone, waiting for them to stop. Oh wait, I almost forgot. Them stopping isn’t possible. (Unless you want to wait 1,000,000,000 years)

7. Being “Moody”
So, this is gonna sound really awkward, but teens have all these hormones going through their bodies or whatever, so they turn out moody. If you’ve ever heard your parent call you this, you’re not the only one. One second, you’ll be super excited because of some random thing, and then you’ll just feel like crying or screaming or hiding or ripping your hair out or something like that. Parents say that they were teenagers once, too, but if they really were, why don’t they understand why we get moody? I mean, come on! Couldn’t they at least try and understand? God! It makes me really angry! Oops, there’s those stupid hormones again.

8. Attitude
Not to be confused with the one above, because attitude is completely different than being “moody”. Attitude is that thing that happens when your mom says you can’t go on a trip with your best friend because of all these random reasons, and then you say something in a bratty tone or whatever, and your mom says, “Don’t give me that attitude, young lady!”
And I sincerely apologize for my “bratty tone” that I’m using right now, but it’s probably because of all these “mood hormones” or whatever. I don’t really care, to be honest.

9. THE TEEN’S ROOM
I have a great example of this one.
Actually, it’s from this morning…
Mom: “Sweetie, your room is a mess. I need you to pick it up this weekend. I almost killed myself this morning, when I tripped on a shoe in the middle of your room.”
Me: “Why, do we have guests coming over or something?”
Mom: No, but it’s always nice to just clean up your room. You’ll feel so much better after, I promise.”
Me: “I’m shutting my door.”
Mom: “Wait-”
Me: “Bye!”

… Later this morning…

Mom: “Sweetie, you have to make your bed before we leave.”
Me: “And why is that?”
Mom: “Because it’s neat and organized that way.”
Me: “Does it actually look like I care? I mean, I’m just gonna get back in it in a few hours. Why don’t I just save myself some time and energy and leave it?”
Mom: Sigh…

10. Fighting
Isn’t this kind of funny? I mean, that parents and teens fight about fighting? What’s the point?
All that “Honey, I feel so bad. We’ve been fighting a lot lately; I think we should try to be happier together and build a stronger relationship” stuff is just a waste of words, because seconds after your parent says that, you both will be yelling at each other and slamming doors and crying, so, back to what I said before. What’s the point? Really?

Okay… this is the end. I’ll try to be positive for once, just for whoever is reading this’s sake.

*Sigh* I’ve changed my mind. What’s the point of trying to be positive if those moods are just gonna kick in again and I’ll be angry in the next second? Sorry, but it’s just not happening.

i love this thing u wrote. i mean parents never understand any thing and brothers and sisters are so dumb and annoying!!!!! i hate them!!!!!!! i so get u!!:):):p