My Heroes Live In The Internet | Teen Ink

My Heroes Live In The Internet

By IAmtheRabbitWhisperer BRONZE, Red Hook, New York
IAmtheRabbitWhisperer BRONZE, Red Hook, New York

YouTube. Anyone with an Internet connection has been on YouTube at least once. To watch a funny video of a cat, or to see someone fall down a flight of stairs for a laugh. Maybe it’s to look up song lyrics, or a preview to a movie. But my main point is, most everyone has been on YouTube at one point in their lives.

I started out on the Tube (don’t judge) the way any animal-obsessed crazy to-be cat lady would- watching videos of animals with my mom. Talking dogs, cats knocking stuff over just because they can, a rabbit in a photoshoot. But as I got older, and actually learned to use the Internet, I began to find… other things. I remember the first time I stumbled upon a YouTuber. And of course, it was my friends’ faults. You know the way it is.

I was at a birthday party, and I think I was about twelve. My friend, the devil in my story, the one who was having the party, was the type of girl who was always on the Internet, looking for things. She knew the cool games, the awesome sites and the weird videos. But this… this was something else.

I remember exactly what she showed me. “Underwear Horoscopes.”

Yup. By some crazy lady named Jenna Marbles. I couldn’t quite decide what to think. I remember wondering why my friend had looked up anything titled “Underwear Horoscopes.” I was a cautious kid, and decided whatever this was, I shouldn't like it.
I changed my mind pretty quickly. It turned out “Jenna Marbles” was hilarious. Laugh-out loud funny, the kind of funny that even now, several years later, I still think back to that video and smile. I’ve even watched it several more times. But we’re getting to that.
“Jenna” was a platinum-blonde twenty-or-so year old girl, wearing a low dark brown shirt, and had a copper, shiny cloth wrapped around her head. She said a few things to the camera, then went on to tell me my horoscope, according to my underwear. And as crazy as this may seem, and weird, and even creepy, it was amazing. I demanded my friend show me more. I was hooked.
Turned out, Jenna Marbles was, and still is, a YouTuber. What exactly is that? A YouTuber is someone who “vlogs” (video blogging) about their everyday life for no apparent reason, to the Internet, so people can laugh at them and feel better about their own lives. It’s not just vlogging, either. Some people write sketches, play games, review music, cook meals, and even complete challenges.
Jenna Marbles was the first rains of the hurricane. I started out watching her, and only her, refusing to even acknowledge the “others”, even though my friends were always talking about them. But eventually, I began to grow interested. So, slowly, I began to branch out. It started with Kingsley, and his ridiculous hat. Then came Tyler Oakly, who will always have a special place in my heart as the most adorable gay guy you will ever meet. Through him, I met Joey Graceffa, Shane Dawson, JacksGap, Caspar Lee, KickthePJ, and AmazingPhil. And that was when the real problem came in. Because that's when I met... Dan.
Danisnotonfire. Dan Howell. A tall, lanky British boy, with a dark brown fringe, and a ridiculous life. I fell absolutely in love the first time I saw him. And I know many of you are probably thinking, “How could you love somebody you’ve never met?” In fact, I bet most of you think I’m crazy for obsessing over people who talk to cameras about themselves. But think about your favorite TV show, your favorite character. Why do you like them so much? Because they’re cute? They’re awesome? They get you? I will honestly say that these YouTubers get me. Not only do they "get" me, they've done more. Some of them have saved my life, several times. And I mean it. Saved my life. When I thought I was falling apart, and my world was ending, and there was no going on, there was always someone to turn to. These people, these amazing, wonderful human beings, taught me each their own special lesson. Many of them did not have great home lives, or childhoods. Many of them were bullied and hurt and beaten down as kids. But they rose up, to be exactly what they want to be. Dan didn’t like himself for most of his childhood, because others said he shouldn’t. And now? Sure, he isn’t a fancy lawyer, or an important businessman. But he’s a radio host with his best friend. He lives in London. He does exactly what he wants to do. And, he’s got over 3 million people supporting him, 3 million people he touched just by fooling around and being honest to the Internet. He’s said, in several of his videos, that he doesn’t want to be doing anything else. Sure, it took a few falls, and a couple of rough patches (in the forms of three existential crises), but he realized he's happy.
All these YouTubers have their own story, a story they’re willing to share with the world, even at the risk of being hated. A story they’re willing to tell because maybe, just maybe, it’ll change someone’s mind about themselves. YouTubers aren’t perfect- no one is. But Dan and Shane and Joey and Phil and Caspar and Jack and Finn and Jenna and Tyler and Kingsley have changed my life. They’ve made me realize that no matter what you go through, there is always a reason to keep living. Life is full of beauty, and laughter, and you should do whatever you need to be happy.
So check them out. They deserve to be heard. I've learned to love them like old friends. Each and everyone of them has a special place in my heart.