Simple Things | Teen Ink

Simple Things

By karenc GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
karenc GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

An arrow can be shot only by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it’s going to launch you into something great. So just take a deep breath and keep aiming.

Eric Matthews’, “Simple Things,” was a well-written piece on the changes that have happened to this generation. However, his article, instead of speaking about the typical technological changes, focuses on the more subtle ones such as how discussions evolved from the meaning of a book to if a movie was “good” or simply “sucked.” The center question he asks is, “Why?”

I believe the answer is that people change to fit with what everyone else does. If a person finds that one or two word sums up a story, no one intends on stopping their ways; what they say is their choice, but people end up becoming influenced. I agreed with Matthews throughout, and I do not think he is the only one who “sees things beyond the literal” because I, too, would much rather hear someone’s chime of laughter over the phone than reading a usually meaningless “lol.”

I especially liked Matthews’ ending, and my response is that I also prefer the simple things, and I’m sure many other readers, not just me, do as well.