An Act of Kindness | Teen Ink

An Act of Kindness

December 31, 2013
By ainzulaikha PLATINUM, Johor, Other
ainzulaikha PLATINUM, Johor, Other
27 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Thursday, 5th December 2013. Today is my birthday.
I am 47 years old. I am sure for those who are in their twenties, a 47-year old ‘makcik’ sounds like an ancient relic. I know how they think because I was once a 20-year old kid. I would always imagine a makcik that nags all day long, complains of aches everywhere (some familiar and some unfamiliar territory of pain), talks about her children incessantly, and always “something wrong with the young people nowadays”.
I have been in this company now over 20 years. It is quite the norm for the so-called ‘seniors’ to talk about their early years in the company whenever they meet. Somehow, those days are always referred to as ‘the good old days’ and how now things are so different and somewhat not as glorious as before. At this point of writing, I am thinking that I can go many ways to expand on this topic. I thought I will choose this one – about small act of kindness.
Just yesterday, I was informed that there will be no cleaners for the next few days in the office. Like many people, always the first question on my mind “Why? What happened? Did someone forget to do their job?” After a few minutes (maybe it took a little longer since I am a ‘makcik’), it dawned on me that whatever the reason or reasons, it is of no concern of mine and there is nothing I can do to change the situation. At 10 a.m. there was a meeting with the bosses and I realised that the conference room is not as clean as it usually is. This room is often used for guests and so I thought I better inform the secretary just in case there are important guests in the next few days. Later in the afternoon, I saw her e-mail to remind everyone to keep the office clean since the cleaners will not be coming for a few days. Before going home, my neighbour, who is sharing the cubicle with me, has amazed me by offering to throw my rubbish to the big rubbish bin downstairs. Maybe he was thinking, "I better help this makcik to throw her rubbish". As it happens, I was doing some spring cleaning yesterday (continuation from last Saturday’s Housekeeping Day – What do you expect? The ‘makcik’ got tired half-way and body ached everywhere). The small wastepaper basket (now that’s the term that I am sure the twenties never heard of) was overflowing and I guessed my neighbour was afraid it may spill to his side of the cubicle; it is a very modest cubicle. The ‘makcik’ negative thoughts.
The day just went on by as usual and I went home last evening without any unusual story to tell my husband. He, on the other hand, has an ‘amazing’ story (by my standards) to share about efforts being made to deliver food supplies to areas affected by the flood. He works with a company managing oil palm plantations and some of their fields are flooded and cannot be accessed by road. His company are arranging for food to be flown in by helicopter.
This morning, I heard two of my colleagues went around with big black plastic bags and offered to collect rubbish from everyone in their office. Then on my side of the block, another two girls are doing the same (and yes, they are in their twenties hence the term ‘girls’). I was delightfully surprised by this act of kindness. I am a lover of Readers Digest and in every month publication an act of small kindness is always shared for a small token of RM100 to the writer. I thought I like to do the same but instead of writing to Readers Digest, I thought I would write for you. I hope this simple article can inspire everyone to see that the so-called good old days of yesteryears are not necessarily lost. That today, this moment shall be someone else’s ‘good old days’ if it is not for the likes of people like me. Maybe, for the seniors, it is just the way we see things around us are different (I, for one, am the proud owner of a reading glass; not that I do a lot of reading, just the age). The way we see ourselves in this surrounding may have changed. People around us are still capable of small acts of kindness and making today a wonderful memory of theirs. At this very moment, another colleague has come into my cubicle equipped with a broom and a smile, she sweeps the floor, mind you, on voluntary basis (and not that she is bored with her work; “Don’t think negative, makcik!”).
As I am writing this article, birthday wishes keep interrupting my focus (as the 60s baby boomer always says - those ‘blinking’ messages at the bottom right hand corner) and now, over my cubicle wall, a colleague is singing the favourite old time tune – Happy Birthday. Such sweet moments, too bad my fingers have lost its agility to press those touch-screen devices to record the singing sensational in action.
I am blessed. Thank you, Allah – for today, yesterday and every single day that I live on this world.