growing up | Teen Ink

growing up

By Thegirlwiththesadsmile BRONZE, Malin, Oregon
Thegirlwiththesadsmile BRONZE, Malin, Oregon

Practice makes permanent NOT perfect.

As children we’re told we can do and be whatever we want, well what if we don’t want to grow up? Or what if we want to sit online and blog all day? Or even to read all day for the rest of our lives? And then when children grow up and are told that no they cannot do or be whatever they had want they get sad and depressed at the prospect of not doing something that they love for the rest of their lives. So they cut or starve and puke and do whatever they can just to make themselves be ok and sometimes they take their own lives and society cries and says how beautiful they were and wonders why they would do something like that…..is it just me or is it obvious why?

I wrote this piece because I was listening too my little brothers dream about what they wanted to be when they grew up and it made me wonder when exactly I stopped dreaming about a career I enjoyed and when I instead started looking for one that would pay well. After a lot of thought I realized that that change had taken place around the same time that I started to get depressed.