The Meaning of Life. | Teen Ink

The Meaning of Life.

By Caseyismyname BRONZE, Latrobe, Pennsylvania
Caseyismyname BRONZE, Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Please comment

So I had to read a book for english class and it was an independent reading assignment. Well my teacher roped me into reading "The Meaning of Life" by Wendy Mass. I read the summary and thought it was going to be another cliche story where a character looks for something finds that this thing he thought he was looking for wasn't actually what he was really looking for. At first I thought I was right it started off that way. But it changed towards the end. It got me thinking about the meaning of life. I won't say what happens because it is a good book and you should read it. But this isn't a book review. I have caught myself thinking all the time why are we here? What is our purpose? But that is the thing there is no specific purpose. We are here because we are here. Its like when my english teacher had me write an essay about the American dream. At first I thought a house, wife, kids even. But I was wrong. The American dream is to be able to have a dream. If as a kid you dream about being an astronaut. You can do it. I hate hearing that you can't do anything you want. But you do have to work. If I wanted to be a doctor I can't just put a lab coat on and be a doctor. But I can work hard. Go to medical school and become a doctor! That is the American dream it doesn't matter how hard it is if you really want to do something just put in the work and you can do it. But back to the meaning of life. Its not just enjoy it while it last because you will die eventually. But its live it how you want to. If you want a family go and have a family(with someone you love of course). If you want to engulf yourself in your work do it. If you want to travel the world do it. Even though it is not the meaning of life, life does not go on forever. You don't need to be an adrenaline junky to live life to its fullest, because its YOUR life. I feel that the meaning of life is life. As was said in the book(not a spoiler so don't give me that look). Just like the American dream is to dream. In the end the one thing nobody can take away from you is your dreams. I will say if my teacher wouldn't have said read that book I wouldn't have but I'm glad I did. I feel kinda enlightened. I hope you do after this and realize you can do anything. It is your life. But I hope you are starting to know your purpose as I do mine.