The 9/11 Memorial | Teen Ink

The 9/11 Memorial

By Nicholas Anzalone BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Nicholas Anzalone BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

On May 22, 2013, four eight grade classes from my school went on a trip to the 9/11 Memorial site. It consisted of two large fountains, designed to be in the exact place where the Twin Towers stood, with the exact same shape and size of the former buildings. Also, there was a tree named the "Survivor Tree;" the only tree to be left standing after the bombings on September 11, 2001. There were ropes that tied it down to the ground. That was so a stray wind or any form of precipitation wouldn't affect it. The fountains were large squares with water falling around the perimeter, and a smaller square located directly in the middle where all the water eventually gathered. Names were inscribed around each fountain. There were different squad teams listed, as well as victims of the attack. Many mourners were individually spread around the fountains. They placed flowers through the names of many people, which were purposely constructed with holes to do just that. What was interesting about this memorial was how once you would stand close to the edge of the fountain, all other noises around you would be drowned out by the flowing water in front of you. This effect put me in a peaceful state of mind, as I'm sure it did to all of its spectators. After viewing the peaceful memorial for an hour or so, we went back to our school, where we had lunch in a neighborhood park and spent the rest of the school day there.

After viewing the 9/11 Memorial, I realized just how big the attack actually was, and how it has affected the United States. I noticed while I was at the memorial how much security was involved. There was a police officer stationed in just about every minuscule area of the memorial, as well as officers roaming the memorial, making sure that everything is going well. Also, there were cameras placed in both noticeable and unnoticeable spots around the memorial. Finally, everyone, minor or adult, went through security before being allowed in the memorial. All of these things prove that the United States has bumped up their security, and are more watchful of their people, and their monuments. This is a very good thing to see, and I hope that the United States government continue to set up a high security base, so that no more tragic incidents occur, such as the heartbreaking massacre at Newtown, Connecticut, and the horrible Boston Bombings, both which occurred less than six months ago. Improving security and awareness will do nothing but secure the United States and its citizens, something everybody living here will embrace. In conclusion, viewing the 9/11 Memorial last Wednesday gave me a profound insight on the affect of the bombings of September 11, 2001, and opened my eyes to a new level of security being applied in the United States today, two things my mind will dwell on for years and years to come.

I was inspired to write this piece because of a school trip to the 9/11 Memorial. I hope people will understand the seriousness of the attack on September 11, 2001, and how a lasting impact has been set on the United States' citizens and government.