Unbreakable Bonds of Friendship Bracelets | Teen Ink

Unbreakable Bonds of Friendship Bracelets

September 8, 2008
By e.nadeem PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
e.nadeem PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
37 articles 0 photos 8 comments

‘True Friendship never dies’

A short sentence, but with a long and crucial meaning. A meaning such that a million words would not be able to completely portray. A meaning so deep, so intense that knowing it would be enough to make you go into utter, blinding realization.

Friendship is a key to finding yourself. Your friends are what bring out the life in you. From another person, an outsider’s view, it’s just laughing, sitting together, holding hands and parties.
For you, though, it is much, much more. It is private smiles, advice that help both of you go a long way, giving up your own spare time for them, phone calls way past midnight, a shoulder to cry on, sacrifices, friendship poems, letters and affection towards each other.
That is what really matters. It is not about doing your friend’s homework for her, it is not about the one who calls you the most. It’s what you think of each other, it’s your friendship that is the main thing, itself.

Friendship and amity is not about having a close friend who you can rely on for a year, maybe two, and then go back to your ‘old group.’ Accepting a person’s hand in friendship is like helping them uncover what is imprinted behind their faces, their brains and their smiles.

Friends really are forever, otherwise it is wrong, and it is completely off course to just use the word. Yes, it is true that friends have fights, and big arguments, but they aren’t supposed to last long. A day, or maybe a week, and then you would make up, apologize and forget about what has happened. But that is not always the case. Sometimes, the truth is staring you in the face, and you realize that you have stored your trust in the wrong person. Sometimes it is fate which gestures you away, which pulls you apart.
But, even if so, is it always necessary to let your ex-friend know that you have lost faith in her, that you no longer can trust her? Is that all that matters, not hanging out with a person anymore and not talking to them anymore?
I disagree strongly at this point. You may go around ignoring your friend, leaving her shattered, in tears, but always, always, you know what really matters is the past. The past is always difficult to forget, and you know that there were times, so what if it was just once, that your friend helped you out of a deep spot, gave you advice which is why you can still smile, and let you tell her about her feelings? You know that whatever may go wrong, whatever may pull you apart, somehow the friendship bracelet never seems to break. It’s always hanging on the last thread, but it’s hanging on, and you know that’s what you have to do.
True friendship lies deep, however deep it may be, at the bottom of every friendship. Every friend is in a way or another, a true friend. There is no such thing as the ‘end’ of one’s friendship, because you can see it when the two happen to catch each other’s eye. You can see the pain reflected, the remorse, the regret, and the urge to go back into the past to change things.
Friendship has its intensities, it has its worries, it always has its arguments and problems, its tribulations, there was never a wavering doubt about that. But when you think about how the other person has always been able to be so there, does it even seem to matter anymore? Doesn’t the strength and passion of the closeness between the two friends just cloud out all the negative points, drown out the cries? It always tends to do so, someway or another.
Each friend is always there for another, and no matter what goes wrong, whether you don’t talk to each other, see each other, you grow old, you loose your memory, there is someone whose memories will always be etched in you, whose name will ring in your ears, who will be always there for you, from the day you met her at school, till that day, decades later, when she will be crying her eyes out at your funeral.
Whatever breaking-down paths you may climb on, you have always endured the pain and all the joys of your life together, counting on one another. There are facts you can not ignore, there are emotions and feelings that hit you hard, and it is not always so easy to avoid these things, because you know they have a meaning, a reason, and you have to come to your senses at one point in your life. It is unimportant and meaningless how tight and rigid you tie your friendship bracelets, as long as you are ensured the last knot will never unwrap, the last thread will never let go. The times when you need to unleash are not even significant to the bonds of friendship; after all, in spite of everything, true friendship never dies.