Eating Out For Thanksgiving | Teen Ink

Eating Out For Thanksgiving

By GiovanniCarcamo SILVER, Attleboro, Massachusetts
GiovanniCarcamo SILVER, Attleboro, Massachusetts

It would be hard to imagine the Pilgrims going to Olive Garden for Thanksgiving. Some people, even today, may find it hard to eat at a restaurant for Thanksgiving, but these are plenty of reasons to do so.

The younger generation is growing up into adults, which can cause them to be frantic with personal responsibilities, and the cost of food can make Thanksgiving more stressful than it already is. So why bother with tradition?

My family might choose to eat at a restaurant for Thanksgiving this year because my mother, aunt, and grandmother don’t feel like cooking a gigantic meal, and some of my cousins have moved away. I am a little disappointed because it is not traditional. Thanksgiving is deciding which family members will host the evening, dividing up the recipes to the cooks, then arriving by the respective dinner time. Relatives peacefully chat among themselves, and then the youngest family member says a prayer, before everyone enjoys the delicious food.

Looking at the day differently, eating at a restaurant could save money; ordering pre-made platters and buying every ingredient needed is costly, then spending the time cooking the meal is labor intensive.

As those family members who usually do the cooking become older, they may not want to or be able to spend time stirring, cutting, chopping, and baking, plus cleaning, organizing the tables, and arranging decorations.

Eating out at a restaurant could be easier, for example in my situation there are only five people when there used to be 10. Fewer people attend because they are now adults and working, or in committed relationships. It’s time consuming to make lots of food and prepare a table when it’s only a small group. It’s easier to just stress about making reservations and paying the bill.

The bad part about eating out for Thanksgiving is losing the essence of the holiday. It’s a time for home-made food, being nice and friendly, and enjoying the company of relatives. This is missed when surrounded by strangers in a restaurant or the chef doesn’t prepare the food like grandmother. As times change though, sometimes new traditions are made.