Capital Punishment Is Dead Wrong This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Murder is wrong. Since childhood we have been taught this indisputable truth. Ask yourself, then, what is capital punishment? In its simplest form, capital punishment is defined as one person taking the life of another. Coincidentally, that is the definition of murder. There are 36 states with the death penalty, and they must change. These states need to abolish it on the grounds that it carries a dangerous risk of punishing the innocent, is unethical and barbaric, and is an ineffective deterrent of crime versus the alternative of life in prison without parole.

Capital punishment is the most ­irreparable crime governments perpetrate without consequence, and it must be abolished. “We’re only ­human, we all make mistakes,” is a commonly used phrase, but it is tried and true. Humans, as a species, are famous for their mistakes. However, in the case of the death penalty, error becomes too dangerous a risk. The innocent lives that have been taken with the approval of our own government should be enough to abolish capital punishment.

According to Amnesty International, “The death penalty legitimizes an irreversible act of violence by the state and will inevitably claim innocent victims.” If there is any chance that error is possible (which ­there always is), the drastic measure of capital ­punishment should not be taken. Also, it is too final, meaning it does not allow opportunity for th accused to be proven innocent, a violation of the Fifth Amendment which guarantees due process of law.

District Judge Jed S. Rakoff of the United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan ­argued against the death penalty: “In brief, the Court found that the best available evidence indicates that, on the one hand, innocent people are sentenced to death with materially greater frequency than was previously supposed and that, on the other hand, convincing proof of their innocence ­often does not emerge until long after their convictions. It is therefore fully foreseeable that in enforcing the death penalty a meaningful number of innocent people will be executed who otherwise would eventually be able to prove their innocence.”

As humans, we are an inevitable force of error. However, when a life is at stake, error is not an option. The death penalty is murder by the government. As a nation, we have prided ourselves in our government, its justice and truth. However, can we continue to call our government fair if we do not hold it to the same rules we do its people? Murder by a citizen will have consequences, yet a government-approved ­murder is not only acceptable, but enforceable. What message do we send the American people, and other countries, for that matter, if we continue to be a ­nation that kills its citizens, a nation that enforces the most barbaric form of punishment?

The Illinois Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty states, “We don’t cut off the hands of thieves to ­protect property; we do not stone adulterers to stop adultery. We consider that barbaric. Yet we continue to take life as a means of protecting life.” No person, government-affiliated or not, has the right to decide if another human is worthy or unworthy of life. Our natural rights as humans, which cannot be taken away by the government, include the right to life. Humans are not cold metal coins that lose value; no act, no matter how heinous, can make a person less of a human being. However, for most it is easy to ­forget that each of the 1,099 executed since 1977 are fellow humans, not just numbers.

According to Amnesty International, “The death penalty violates the right to life.” Capital punishment contradicts our moral beliefs and claims of a fair and just government. The U.S. must join its political ­allies – including Europe, Scandinavia, Russia, South Africa, and most of Latin America – that have abolished the death penalty.

The death penalty is favored by some as an effective deterrent of crime; however, it is proven that states with the death penalty actually have higher murder rates than those without. It is proven that our nation does not need this extreme threat of punishment to prevent crime. In 2006, the FBI Uniform Crime Report revealed that the area of the U.S. that was responsible for the most executions (the South with 80 percent) also had the highest murder rate, whereas the Northern areas that had the fewest ­executions (less than one percent), had the lowest murder rates.

It can be said that the death penalty is the most overlooked form of government hypocrisy; we murder people who murder people to show that murder is wrong. It is this contradiction in policy that confuses criminals and undermines any crime deterrence capital punishment was intended to have.

Many people favor the death penalty as reparation for the wrong done to a victim’s family; however, in most cases, closure is not the result. Losing a loved one, no matter how that person is lost, is unbearable, irrevocable, and shattering. Pain like this is shocking and the victim’s family holds onto the hope that the execution of the murderer will bring relief and closure. Nevertheless, when execution day arrives, the pain is not eased. No relief can be gained, for their pain is an unavoidable, natural process of life. Victims’ families have founded such groups as the Murder Victims Families for Reconciliation and The Journey of Hope, which oppose the death penalty. They ­believe that they are different from those who have taken their loved ones and they demonstrate their ­difference by refusing to sink to a murderer’s level.

Capital punishment is immoral and a violation of natural rights. It is wrong for everyone involved: the prosecuted innocent, criminals, victims’ families, and our nation. We need to replace the death penalty and capital punishment with life without parole, a safer and more inexpensive option. The death penalty does not guarantee safety for innocent victims, it does not follow the goals and promises of our nation, it does not effectively deter crime, and it does not give closure to victims’ families. Nothing good comes of hate, and nothing good can ever come from capital punishment. It cannot continue to be accepted by a nation that claims to have liberty and justice for all. The death penalty is murder on the sly and it’s dead wrong.

BjornNorth said...
May 2 at 6:13 pm:
Murder is defined as 'the unjustified killing of another.' This is a legal standard. Capatial punishment is not murder since, by it's nature, it is sanction by the State. Cap. Pun. is the determination of a randomly selected group of your pers that your actions were so abhorrent that you are no longer fit to live amongst civilized society. It goes beyond mere life in prison because your actions, in capatil cases, was so abhorrent to make even even that option unpalatable. Does the sy... (more »)

A Friend said...
Apr. 23 at 6:18 pm:
LIsten, dont listen to most of the people on these comments. i agree with u. some people have died when they were completly innocent and the u.s government should set a good example and be the bigger person. Its morally wrong- hanging people,being shot to death,lethal injections- If we do this to other people wouldnt we be commiting a crime?? same thing with them dont get me wrong no one loves fairness and justice more than me and if you do some thing wrong u should face consequences but think a... (more »)

kflynn119 said...
Jan. 31 at 2:30 pm:
I totally agree with you. People go and kill others and then they get killed, not right. They should stay in jail and have to feel bad for the rest of their life for what they did. Its less painful for them to just get killed.

RutvikS. said...
Jan. 31 at 2:27 pm:
I don't think they should let the murders get away easily and they should pay the pricein jail, but the death penality is a great choice.

Aarif replied...
Jan. 31 at 2:35 pm :
Precisily!

Alex M. said...
Jan. 31 at 2:21 pm:
I agree with you because they should also learn their lesson and stay in jail. They are pretty much just getting of easy with death.

Billy maze replied...
Jun. 5 at 1:41 pm :
They are not getting off easy with death, and you wont learn a lesson from being in prison for the rest of you're just wasting your tax money on someone who will stay in prison and eat for the rest of his life  

SarahG1997 said...
Since 1973, over 130 people have been wrongfully convicted and placed on death row throughout the country then proved innocent. In 2003 alone, 10 wrongfully convicted defendants were on death row.  Names; Daniel wade Moore Anthony Graves Seth Penalver and so many more

TheSihlouettedMan said...
Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:33 am:
So, what you're saying is... despite the murderers, terrorists, and psychopaths out there, (of whom have mentalities that cannot and will not change) that because we are killing a life (to save others I might add), that this is a nasty thing to do. I've got news for you, please wake up. I'd feel a bit more comfortable if evil wasn't walking my streets. Also, innocence hardly ever gets up there, and even if that is the case, that's prosecution error, not the penalty. And last,... (more »)

Wooping Crane said...
May 24, 2013 at 1:54 pm:
Capital Punishment is first and foremost not murder itself, as murder is defined as "the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another" and captial punishment is defined as "the legally authorized killing of someone as a punishment for a crime". Not minding the "unlawful" and "legally authorized" parts of each of these definitions (as that is what is being questioned), these two definitions by themselves are drastically different, as one is a... (more »)

BjornNorth replied...
May 2 at 6:16 pm :
Not wanting to mince words, as I liked your comment, premeditated murder is the premeditated killing of another. Murder, generally (premeditated, depraved heart, etc.) is just the 'unjustified killing of another.'

Mani said...
You say that killing a human being rather they are muderers or not is right? You just said that  they need to know what it's like to be human, yea they were wrong but 2 wrongs dont make a right no matter how you look at it,wether justified or not it's not going to bring back that victim of the crime and it's not going to make  either of the families feel better so whats the point in capital punishment  

Harrison95 replied...
Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm :
It is inforced to save the lives of other innocent people so that the offender does not commit murder or rape again bc if someone is inclined to commit a capital crime such as, murder or rape they are capible of comitting that crime again. Think about this. Say your mom was raped and spared to live but your mom presses charges on such offender and is sentenced to prision for about 10-20 years. In anger of the sentence the offender plans ways to get back at your mom or even your whole family... (more »)

Lilsexii said...
Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:20 pm:
Some people need to be sentence to death. Some crimes are just un-humaily. People are just sick and twisted. People need to learn life and how to be a human being. Death is what put these uncontrolable animals to rest. On the other hand people keep saying, "what if the wasn't guilty"??. Nine to one they was.

MaxineA replied...
Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:12 pm :
Is that one innocent life lost worth the punishment of the other nine? Put yourself in the place of that one, or his wife, or mother or father or child. Is it truly worth it?

manny89 replied...
Jan. 9 at 8:46 am :
So what you are trying to say is that, that one life is not important? I imagine if it was a love one that was put to death being INNOCENT, you would not be saying this. 

jpweber said...
Frankly, you're precisely correct, Olivia.  Judicial malfeasance and corruption is inundated through the system, and many prosecutors will lie, cheat, and steal (metaphore) to get a conviction to hoist on their political resume. I know this is off-topic, but I also feel our prisons are overcrowded.  I am among the 53% (Romney figure) who pays federal income taxes, and why am I paying to lock up some dude who smoked a joint, or was 4 days late on a child support payment? For fut... (more »)

YoungLibertarian said...
I don't think anyone would have a problem sentencing James Holmes (Aurora shooter) to death.   The death penalty needs to be selectively applied. I don't think it should be used in a case in which guilt is not certain (even though that should yield no punishment). However, in mass shooting cases where the perpetrator is obvious, we might as well just get rid of the individual, saving money and emotional pain.

CynthiaNieves replied...
Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:22 am :
I agree with you, and i would think it is the best thing to get rid of them right then and there, but it doesnt save money. It actually costs more money to kill them than to have them in jail for their lifetime. It's stupid, but sadly thats how it is.

Dominik-the-donkey said...
I agree 100%, the death penalty is very wrong.  I especially liked the part about how we kill people who kill other people as a punishment.  I have never thought about it that way but it is very true, you can't commit the same crime as a punishment to those who cmmited it.  I also remember a story I heard about a man who was proven innocent after the day of his execution.  There was no bringing him back.  Great post.