Animal Abuse: Should More Be Done? | Teen Ink

Animal Abuse: Should More Be Done?

May 7, 2008
By Anonymous

If you were to see a cold, hungry cat in front of your house, would you feed it or walk away? Most people would walk away instead of taking the time to make sure the cat is okay. The problem is that people generally live busy lives. They already have too much on their plate to deal with some cat they do not even know.
Now here’s another question: If you see a group of kids hitting and abusing an animal, would you stop them? Would you at least call the police? Again people would walk away. Some people do not believe that animal abuse is a big issue. Well guess what? I do.
Everyday animals are abused in their homes or on the streets. It seems as if politicians do nothing to stop this issue. Everyone is worried about education and global warming. What about animals? Just because they cannot talk to us, does not mean that we should ignore them? Animals, like us Americans, have rights. These are the rights that allow animals a place to stay, a shelter if they have a no place to stay, the right to a non-cruel family, the right to not be abused and many other rights. Are we taking away an animal’s right by not giving them a place to stay? Yes, we are. Since I was born, my mother, sister and I have taken in over fifty homeless cats, fed them, cleaned them and gave them to good families. These fifty cats do not include my cat that gave birth to fifteen kittens in two years, all of whom were given to loving families.
There are many organizations that deal with abused animals or animals that have no home like ASPCA, PETA, The Humane Society and many more. Just because there are organizations that deal with this issue, does not mean that we still shouldn’t help. The biggest saying that bothers me is, “I am only one person. I can’t make a difference.” If everyone thought like that, we wouldn’t have the organizations and loving people who help the world everyday. By helping one animal, you are making a difference. Yes, there are millions are animals out there but wouldn’t you feel good inside to know that you helped a living creature in this Earth?

Some of you right now are probably thinking, “Well, there are people in the world who need more help than any old animal.” It’s true. There are people in the world right now that need help but we cannot forget the animals. We are all living in this Earth together, why not help each other?

There are many things you can do right now to help animals around your neighborhood. You can volunteer at your local animal shelter, raise money for animal shelters, inform your community about animal abuse or you can write to your representatives and tell them that animal abuse needs to be taken seriously.

As you walk down the street, try to help any animals you see walking around. You can easily buy a cheap box of dry cat/dog food to feed the animals. If we do not help our animals now, we may never have animals again. Always remember that with every step you take, you help save an animal’s life and isn’t that worth fighting for?”