Bullying Sent to a New Level | Teen Ink

Bullying Sent to a New Level

By Ashly15 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Ashly15 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

According to the Cyberbullying research center, 20% of the 4,400 randomly selected children eleven through eighteen year old students indicated they had been a victim of cyberbullying at some point in their life. Cyberbullying is defined as repeated harm inflicted through the use of computers, cell phones, and other electronics. This horrible act is rapidly increasing and seems to be getting ignored. I feel it can and should be stopped by not only youth or parents, but schools too.
Michelle New, a PHD, revealed on the website www.kidshealth.org shocking evidence that 97% of middle schoolers are bullied while online. This can be done on a social-networking sites or even their own email. The number one thing that is encouraged is to not give out personal information about yourself or others. Sounds easy, right? If it was so easy then why doesn’t everyone stop giving out so much revealing information?
Youth can also help cut down cyberbullying. Not everybody is perfect, so don’t make fun of the so called “dumb people”. If at all possible, try to ignore the bully as that may stop him or her from continuing. Overall, the number one thing youth can do, is go online with their parents. Show them what websites we are using and why. At the same time, they should also be responsible and respectful while online. If you wouldn’t do it in person, don’t do it online. On the other hand, parents can get involved too.

The Cyberbullying Research Center stated that 58% of kids getting cyberbullied have not told their parents. Parents have a huge roll in what students do. The best thing parents can do is watch what your children are doing online. Try to get them more active and off of their phones and computers. Overall, they should educate their kids about appropriate online behaviors. Schools can also have an impact on the way kids decide to act.
The Cyberbullying Research Center informed everyone that 21% of kids have received emails or other messages where cyberbullying was the issue. Schools can prevent cyberbullying by educating students. I think all schools should be required to have at least one speaker come in every year to discuss bullying and cyberbullying. Schools need to inform kids that there is and will be punishment if they decide to interact in cyberbullying. To be sure kids are safe online these rules and others about online safety should be discussed very frequently in technology classes. In some cases, schools can simply discuss what happened with the offender's parents which in turn will help stop cyberbullying.
Cyberbullying is rapidly increasing and can be stopped. If anyone is being cyber bullied, tell an adult immediately. Cyberbullying can happen anywhere at anytime, and can change people forever. If everyone helps, cyberbullying will be stopped.There are numerous things that youth and parents can do. Instead of letting everyone else figure out what can be done, schools need to get involved too.