How I'd Give Away One Million Dollars | Teen Ink

How I'd Give Away One Million Dollars

By collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin
collegegirladventures GOLD, Mequon, Wisconsin

A poet's work is to name the unnameable, to point at frauds, to take sides, start arguments, shape the world, and stop it going to sleep.

~Salman Rushdie

What would I do if someone gave me a million dollars? As much as I’d be tempted to spend it on my own needs and wants, I’d be willing to give it to other places such as the World Health Organization, the Voice of the Martyrs, and St. Jude’s Children’s Research Center, to the places that really need the support.

Let me start out with the World Health Organization. The World Health Organization provides leadership on matters critical to health and engaging in partnerships where joint action is needed. I would give WHO $400,000 for the purpose of helping South Africans who are at risk of picking up malaria from mosquitoes. I’d specifically ask that they use my donation to buy them mosquito nets, which keeps mosquitoes from entering their houses.

I’d give $350,000 to Voice of the Martyrs, a Christian, international organization helping Christians who are/have been persecuted for their involvement in spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I’d ask VOM to use half of my gift to print and distribute Bibles into China and the other half into North Korea. Smuggling Bibles into these countries is a big challenge, and the funds could be used for this purpose. I’d want my donation to provide homes for the homeless; more Bibles would be available to the spiritually hungry; and clothing, footwear, and food could be given to those who lack these necessities.

Finally, I’d give the remaining $250,000 to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. This hospital is known for preventing and curing many catastrophic diseases through treatment and research. I’d want my donation to help cover the costs of medicine, which would help the millions of sick and injured kids recover and have a second chance in life.

A million dollars is a lot to give away. However, if it helps the millions of needy children and adults around the world, it’s worth the hard work.

How would YOU give away a million dollars?

hailie said...
on May. 31 2015 at 4:07 pm
I agree that sharks are misunderstood

Big dot said...
on Dec. 13 2014 at 3:43 am
Your a hundred thousand in the hole by your math