Today I Think I Will... Create A Universe | Teen Ink

Today I Think I Will... Create A Universe

By julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

The goal is not about living forever, the goal is about creating something that can.

Creation: It is such a simple word, with such a profound effect on the cosmos. The creation of the universe is a mystery. The creation of life is also a mystery, as well as a highly significant event around which lies a world of controversy. The most controversial issue around that topic is this question: are we alone in the universe?

The odds that the universe is absolutely devoid of all life besides that on Earth are highly improbable if thought of in this manner. Suppose the universe is endless, or suppose that there are an endless amount of universes (wait, what? Go look up M-Theory). We’re talking about infinity here. In theory it would not be possible to have an infinitely extending universe without also having life exist in its every possible configuration. In my opinion, an endless universe would even guarantee the existence of IDENTICAL replicas of our own planet, just due to the nature of infinity itself. Maybe some earths would have variations as well. Imagine an earth where the dinosaurs never went extinct, and the Allosaurus eventually evolved brains to become the dominant life form on the planet! The possibilities are truly endless. Look no further than your imagination to see what else could be conceivable.

This leads us to another intriguing question. Can our human population reach these other worlds? This is a tough one to answer. It is debatable whether we can, due to the immense distances involved. Even at light speed, it can take hundreds of years to reach a star. There must be another way to travel interstellar distances. What about using our brain power? Neuroscience is rapidly growing, yet there is still much to learn about the brain and its abilities. I believe our mind’s untapped power can open up new pathways to inter-dimensional travel. In fact, many people believe we already travel to other realms and dimensions in our dreams! I believe our minds can not only take us through to other dimensions, I believe they also contain the ultimate power of creation as well. I am saying that we can not only create soup recipes; or architectural blueprints; (which we obviously can) I am saying that we can bring whole universes into existence. I am saying that Tatooine exists, as well as Middle Earth. The mind is an extremely powerful entity, capable of reality-changing paradigms. Imagine if every single person on the planet believed that 2+2=6. Our whole math system would change! The real implication is this. I am saying that you, an intelligent human being, can tap into your imagination and create a unique universe with its own set of laws. Perhaps you will give your universe life as well, and create a customized system of interaction among that life. You do not have to be religious and believe in gods, or God, (depending on your faith). You only have to believe in yourself and the capabilities of your incredible mind in order to make a significant difference in the universe.

My greatest idea is the theory that our minds can change the cosmos. Imagination may be more important to the universe than we realize.

on Jun. 26 2012 at 12:17 am
musicgirl1998 GOLD, Littleton, Colorado

You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note.

This really made me think and I liked it. I am interested in becoming a neuroscientist, so this really was fascinating! Because of you, I am almost believing that this is true, and I do believe in the dream part. Very good!

AlwaysAntlers SILVER, Kingsport, Tennessee

“Don't forget - no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell.”
― Charles de Lint, (from his book,The Blue Girl)

This is a pretty good article! I've seen many works that note the capacity of the human mind to create, but i've never thought about it that way before. Your article is very well written, but the first paragraph doesn't really draw people in. Other than that, I can't find any puntuational, grammatical, or whatever-ical errors in it. Great job!

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Phenominal! I think you have a gift for articulation. Your opinion pieces are incredibly interesting to read, and easy to understand.

on Sep. 2 2011 at 9:46 am
Loving_Writing BRONZE, Rockford, Illinois
Very well - written! You did a great job at presenting your beliefs and theories in such an interesting, yet orderly, fashion. I can't say I agree with your conclusion - but I certainly enjoyed the way it was written!

julian GOLD said...
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

Thanks so much! It means a lot to me! And about your dream, you should definitely write it down and submit it. I would love to read it! If I can't actually have that cool dream, then the next best thing would be to experience it through writing. So submit away!

Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington

" Times you see, is a little arrangement that man has made for himself to try to measure the immeasurable mysteries of life." -Calypso to Ulysses (Bernard Evslin.)
"You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body" - CS Lewis

Oh yeah. can I give this 10/10? only 5/5? Drat. how about 10/5? That doesn't work either? Then what can I do?! Oh!   *FAVORITE*

Studio_Riet GOLD, Tonasket, Washington

You say that about reaching other planets in our dreams. That would explain some of them!!!

It was this jungel full of color (yes I dream in color) and there were these creatures that were pseudo (sp) shapeshifters. They couldn't change shape at will, they could only change if it was about self prservation (they lived a long time because of this). The planet was orbiting a different star, so it had a similar yearlength. It was realy cool! I should wright it and submit, shouldn't I?

xXx_Fox_xXx BRONZE, Conbe, Iowa

"Where a rose is, a thistle can not grow" ~The Secret Garden
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Ghandi
"Every road leads somewhere, its just a matter of where you want to go..." ~???

This was "profoundly" interesting!!! I found actually pretty cool. I want to hear more of your ideas. There are theories that deminsions were formed during the big bang. (I dont believe in the big bang its just fun to toy with) So other "universes" (sp) could very well exsist in our own planet. No only that but with your dream theory you could say that it is possible to view these places. If we were able to use 100% of our brain imagine what we could do, when the 10% almost lets us in on those worlds.

Ryan. BRONZE said...
Ryan. BRONZE, Bel Air, Maryland

"Are you worth the choices you make? Life is to short to let others dictate your actions. Then who is living your life? You? Or them?"

-Mr. A

From a compostion standpoint, the diction level was very consistant. Very good topic to write about! The only thing is you chould have looped the article. ( starting with a theme,creation, and returning to it in the end. It gives the article a very profound effect to it if used. The ideas are spot on. Great job. Cant wait to hear more from you.

Love.Hate.Passion., Spring Valley, Illinois

~Hope. Faith. Love~
~Be proud of who you are.You are all unique in a different way.~
~I WILL NOT fade into oblivion , and become less than
a distant memory.~

Well-written and articulate.

Good job :)

julian GOLD said...
on Jul. 25 2011 at 10:27 am
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

That is wonderful to hear! I am glad that there are others who believe in the infinite possibilities that lie beyond our earth. Kudos to you!

on Jul. 25 2011 at 10:22 am
Alcanno DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is
made up of."

-- Bruce Lee

This is a very though-provoking article! It makes me want to investigate the M-Theory you mentioned :)

Sleepyhead SILVER, San Carlos, California
I love this! I am a huge believer in your theory, and you articulated it very well. 

on Jul. 23 2011 at 11:41 am
AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

"The reason for your unreasonable treatment of my reason so enfeebles my reason that I have reason to complain of your reason" ~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Ah, can't fault you on M-Theory and infinite universe.  'Cause after all, we hardly know about our own universe :P

julian GOLD said...
on Jul. 23 2011 at 10:20 am
julian GOLD, Eugene, Oregon

Well, I'm very excited by your comment! It makes me happy to hear other's viewpoints and arguments. About the finite universe, well I agree that that is true, but to tell you the truth, I only listed that as a secondary idea, because I really believe in the infinite universes theory, which is also called M-Theory. This idea states that there are an infinite amount of universes that have also undergone the big-bang and are host to other life and ways of existence. This idea makes more sense to me because I like to think of each universe as a particle or a cell in a much greater entity that lives in its own universe among universes, which are all just particles in another even greater entity, which is...etc, it goes on forever. So that's my idea! Wow, you really got me in a fervor here. Thanks so much for commenting!

Trilobite BRONZE, Lower Burrell, Pennsylvania

"Genius is 1% imagination and 99% perspiration."~Thomas Edison
"Anyone who has a child today should train him to be either a physicist or a ballet dancer. Then he'll escape."~W. H. Auden

This was a very well written piece!  Also, from a scientific standpoint (I'm a huge science enthusiast), you listed each of the major mysteries surrounding the Universe and the human mind.  Good job!

AgnotTheOdd GOLD, Aptos, California

AHH!!!! Not the parallel universe theory!  Actually I'd hazard to agree with you, if we assume the universe is infinite.  I desperatly want tatooine and a death star to exist.  Maybe even a universe where Dantooine wasn't destroyed!

Now, I have a counterargument for you.  If the universe is accelerating and expanding, which it is, then it can't be quite infinite, but it can be practically infinite, which is the next best thing.  This is especially true if you believe in the Big Bang theory, where the diameter of the universe was, indeed, finite.  If we are ever approaching infinity, but not quite reaching it (think asymptotes!), then we are finite.  And if we are finite, then there can't be an infinite amount of possibilities.  But it can be close, no?

Sorry this is a counter argument more than a comment, but I just love this debate so much.  I think about this a lot too.  I would say if the universe can be proven to be infinite, then the argument is great.  So long as it is finite, then some tinkering needs to be done.  That is not to say that tatooine isn't impossible, because there are still a lot of chances for it to happen ;)

As for the neuroscience, I won't argue that since I am not well versed on the subject.

redhairCat PLATINUM, Pebble Beach, California

"I can do anything!"

Wow - that is a creative thought. I appluad you for thinking outside of the box! Well done!

Hippiealien SILVER, Fair Oaks, California

A Idea and a number 2 pencil can take you anywhere.

Written really well! There was just so much creativity and it was great article over all! :)

Shayna121 GOLD said...
Shayna121 GOLD, Port Charlotte, Florida

I am the master of my fate and the captain of my soul.

You only have to believe in yourself and the capabilities of your incredible mind in order to make a significant difference in the universe. Wow--powerful and beautiful and just plain amazing!