Creative Title

Grabber! Can you believe that? (you are now very interested in what I have to say.) I have just tricked you into thinking that this essay is going to be incredibly exciting, but it really has nothing to do with that. It is instead about [insert thesis here]. I don’t really care about this topic, but I’ll write you five pages about it anyway. My thesis today is unique, though, because it’s about something I really believe in. The workload of high schoolers today is ludicrous for oh so many reasons.

As someone who enjoys writing outside of school, most of the time I don’t have time for this as I have to write an essay on John Knowles’, A Separate Peace, as was my last source of frustration. At this moment, as I write this I’m putting off an English project on the Stalin Era and wondering what that might have to do with Animal Farm. Procrastination: my best friend because it’s the only way to get some creative writing done. I’m a strong believer in essays. I know a lot of people might disagree with me on that, but I think they’re great. It’s a chance to make all of your rants sound eloquent, or to appear as a genius when you really might know squat about the Mayans or the Tyrannosaurus Rex. In my opinion, each essay should be an improvement, and you should come away from it with knowledge of what you might do differently the next time, or keep the same. The problem is, when positive feedback is scarce, I assume that the paper was crap and that I have to start from scratch the next time. And then I think, if I’m bad at writing essays, I’m probably not that great at writing in general, because I really did think that last one was good. And by now I should be a pro at them because we have at least two or three essays per novel.

I’m not going to go look up statistics about why homework is so bad; if you’re a teen and you’re reading this, you already know it sucks. However, if you’re reading this on Teenink, then there’s a good chance that you like to write and I’m pleading with you to keep on writing. If you think about story ideas during school, or wake up in the middle of the night, startled by thought, you’re a writer. If you procrastinate just to work on a story, jot down little bits that come to you, if you journal; you’re a writer. I’m not saying that makes you the next Shakespeare, or me the next Twain (especially since that would require a sex change among many other serious surgeries), just that if you’re inspired by words, your words are worth being read. I know, I know, I’m straying from the topic, but really this is an anti-essay, so why don’t I just stray some more?
Why don’t we
Write in stanzas?
With MiXEd uP capITALiZaTiOn?
And? Punctuation!:”@
I could write a poem,
Pretty as could be
And still I think my English teacher
Would never notice me nor recognize
Me as a writer
But I do.
I have a story
About a firefighter
Who lost his wife
To the orange licking flames
And forever puts them out
With a hose
And his dog, sparky.

The thing is, this is the first time I’ve written, like this, at least, for a long, long time. I’ve been uninspired, defused by only negative feedback and put out by the classics. I wonder,why are so many literary classics about psychos who kill each other? (i.e. Lord of the Flies, A Separate Peace.) You know what, I might just write a book review after this! Because I’ve had what they call an epiphany. Eureka! I can decide what my story is and whether or not its worthy of being told. So all you writers, or maybe you don’t think you are, but you want to be. Everyone, really, tell your story because there will always be someone who giggles, who shakes with sobs, who identifies with you. It’s time to take hold of our pens (or our keyboards, in which case you needn’t clutch it to your chest, just tap the keys) and write down whatever comes to mind:

PURLE CELL PHONE BALOON RED LAMP IN FRONT OF ME NO SCHOOL SNOW DAY ARITSTOLE CATS D.C. HISTORY PAY.

And I’m proud of it. (Consider youself clinched.)

wishingtheskywasbluerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 23, 2012 at 12:58 am:
this is brilliant!!!

Lindsey31This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is sooo awesome! I love your work! I have also read A Separate Peace and I know where you are coming from, so I agree COMPLETELY with all of your statements above!

she-is-a-strange-duckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

You're so right. most classics ARE about psychos who try to kill each other. Strange how I'd never noticed that.

Anyway... fantastic writing! You are truly a writer! please look at some of my things? thanks!

Tayrodactyl said...
May 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm:
I absolutly love your writing! this is funny, and verrrrrrrrry true.

eileentotheleft said...
I adore this. I did something similar for English class during Walden by Thoreau, my least favorite writer. You're eloquent and inspring. :)