Celebrities Are Overpaid! | Teen Ink

Celebrities Are Overpaid!

November 25, 2007
By Anonymous

I believe that in the world today, celebrities, as well as athletes, are extremely over paid. Also, in the world today, there is some obsession over the media. This publicity for celebrities often gets them more money, bad or good, fake or true. If our country has so much money to give, then how come we haven’t found a cure for cancer? Our country needs to straighten out our priorities!

I understand that celebrities work hard to entertain us, and they do work hard, but other than that, how do people benefit? It sure doesn’t give the homeless jobs or places to live! If the celebrities weren’t paid as much, the money left over could benefit somebody else ,such as, a person who cannot afford to pay medical bills. I don’t mean cut them off entirely but pay them a reasonable amount of money. Overall, the 50 highest earners pulled in a combined $1.1 billion, 40% of which came from endorsements. The minimum to make the list was $15 million versus less than $5 million in 1994 as stated on Forbes.com. Julia Roberts is one of the highest paid actresses, commanding $20 million per movie according to Channelone.com. These wages are pretty extreme as well as unnecessary.

Of course, people make great donations that are greatly appreciated, but in most cases, that money eventually runs out even though the celebrities pay check doesn’t. Not all cases, though. For example, Oprah Winfrey opened a school for girls in Africa. That will last. A simple check for publicity won’t.
Yes, other people, such as doctors, are paid extreme amounts of money but doctors don’t save peoples lives for mere entertainment. Doctors sacrifice a lot of time to get the job done. And yes, they expect to be paid but at the end of the day they saved or helped someone.

Movies, music, and sports really only excite people temporarily. I am not saying that these public icons do not deserve money, they are hard workers, but there is no need to be paid millions and millions of dollars. It definitely would be nice to be paid excessive amounts of money, but it would be a whole lot nicer to be paid knowing there is a cure for cancer and nobody is going to sleep tonight hungry or homeless.