Look to the Eyes

Everyone knows, from the time they’re a few months old, that a smile means a person is happy and a frown means they’re sad. But who exactly decided that, may I ask? Who decided that when your lips turn down you’re upset and when they turn up you’re delighted? Because I’d like to have a word with them.

If we try to frown but make our eyes happy, we encounter some difficulty. Why? Not because a frown automatically makes your eyes incapable of mirth. Just because we’re taught: smile=happy, frown=sad. What if people said, just do whatever you feel like when you’re happy? What if there had never been the concept of fixed facial expressions? Some people would probably frown. Some people would probably smile. Those who are unobservant might be hopelessly confused.

But here is my advice: Look at their eyes. The eyes don’t lie. Whether the person was smiling or frowning, if their eyes were happy, they were happy. If the eyes were sad, they were sad. Your eyes are like small channels to the soul, reflecting your mood in their glassy surfaces. So if you want to know if someone is happy or sad, don’t look to the lips; look to the eyes.

JohnWallOfTheWizards said...
I like the piece it is ver correct because even through tears you can see there emotions like when the cry when they are happy.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 19, 2010 at 7:27 am
Exactly. Things like crying, smiling, frowning--these aren't fixed.  The eyes show how you really feel.

Ana R. said...

i really enjoyed this piece- i myself have thought about that concept but never considered writing about it or expanding on the idea. you articulated it beautifully- it was a joy to read. I think you could take this piece even farther by talking about other automatic reactions human beings have to things and what they mean

great work!

Thanks! :D

christin.bass said...
You make a great point. Your extremely talented girl. (: When i read your work i get so hooked on it i just can't stop once i start. Keep it up!!!!

Thanks! :D

guitargirl said...
Amazing writing.  I loved the descriptive language and the concept. You have a lot of talent =]

Thanks:D  

Siiiiiiiis.  :DDD

CanadianRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I've never thought of it before. It's a good point. I sometimes get people asking me "what's wrong" because i'm not smiling, but I'm perfectly happy and I'm sure my eyes do show it.

gotchalk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Yeah, I don't always smile, but that doesn't mean I'm upset.  The thought just struck me one day, and I decided to write about it:D

shineybaby_1994 replied...
wow this is really good! I have always wondered that too

Thanks:D 

thewritician said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 10:49 am
I find your essay interesting. I like how you say look at the eyes even when many are afraid to even do that. I'll remember not to stare at the smile or frown lol...good job.

Jul. 28, 2010 at 10:57 am
Thanks:D 

wandering said...
simple and interesting essay.i love it!and im happy to see such an easy  article  for me to read..(you know..)

Thanks! And lol, yeah I know.

Just a question--could you possibly check out my article Gymnastics Is My Life?  I accidentally posted anonymously, so if you do advanced search, it's under nonfiction personal experience.

wandering replied...
Okay~and sorry, could you tell me what LOL is....

Oh I'm so sorry!  I'm just used to people knowing, I forgot for a moment where you lived.  Sorry!  Lol is the abbreviation for laugh out loud.

wandering replied...
thank you!~