AMERICA | Teen Ink

AMERICA

May 17, 2010
By daisy:) SILVER, Russellville, Kentucky
daisy:) SILVER, Russellville, Kentucky
8 articles 1 photo 8 comments

“Oh beautiful for spacious skies, for amber waves of grain, for purple mountain majesties, above the fruited plain…” In 1893, Katharine Lee Bates captured America for the natural, unscathed magnificence that lies beneath the hustle and bustle of daily life in this wonderful nation. From her view atop Pikes Peak in Colorado, Ms. Bates brought the simplicity of nature back into the illustration of this increasingly industrialized land. In my heart, America’s awe-striking wonder is the very core of what this incredible country is all about, not to mention, so much, much more.

A is for ALL. “America! America! God shed His grace on thee and crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea.” Today in our glorious nation, the possibilities are limitless. Not just for the rich and famous, but for everyone, no matter what class they come from, and no matter their background. Everyone is accepted for their individual gifts and talents that God gives them, and simply for who they are.

M is for MILITARY. “O beautiful for heroes prov’d, in liberating strife, who more than self their country loved, and mercy more than life.” Our country was founded on liberty from the very beginning. Rapidly, boys grew into brave soldiers so they could fight for what they believed in. So many through the years have valiantly fought and died for their fellow citizens. The determination and dedication of an American soldier is enough to stand nobly with pride, just knowing they died so you and I could live.

E is for EQUAL and R is for RIGHTS. “America! America! God mend thine ev’ry flaw; confirm thy soul in self-control, thy liberty in law.” When the founders of the Constitution met in 1787 to build the framework for our Constitution, they had in mind what they wanted to include. From past experience with the government of England, they knew they wanted to include special rights granted to all Americans with the idea that everyone was created equal. To this day, these dreams are still being played out in our society.

I is for INSPIRATION and C is for CHANGE. “O beautiful for patriot dream that sees beyond the years, thine alabaster cities gleam undimmed by human tears.” Here in America, we are known for change and innovation; in other words, moving forward and stepping ahead. There are a countless number of songs, poems, and stories written for and about America presenting this gradual transition. Something magical in the air must inspire this patriotism in the hearts of so many people here.

A is for ACHIEVE. “America! America! May God thy gold refine, till all success be nobleness, and ev’ry gain divine.” The United States of America isn’t simply a country, it’s a land were me, you, and about 310,000,000 other people are free to live their lives individually and specially, without worrying about their rights being taken away. It’s a place where the poorest of poor and the weakest of weak have hope in their futures, so that they too might one day shine to their fullest potential. “America, America, God shed His grace on thee, and crown thy good with brotherhood, from sea to shining sea.”


The author's comments:
Looking around, I realized; we as Americans take our great country for granted. If only we'd stop for 5 seconds and look around, then maybe, just maybe, we'd see what we are truly blessed with...