Spot the Differences?

As we all know, Haiti was hit by a massive earthquake less than a few months ago. We've been helping them out ever since. We've sent over supplies, money, and even volunteers. What we don't realize though is that Haiti has all the supplies they need, they just don't know how to use it.

My mother volunteered in Haiti over March Break this year. When she came back to Canada, she told my sister and I all about the ups and downs. She also told us that what she noticed most, was that Haiti has all the supplies and money they needed; they just didn't know how to use it.

This past summer I went to Kenya with my mother for one month. While my mom was busy working at a local clinic, I was just down the road at a school teaching grades 4 and 5 math, English, and science. Being in Kenya was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but it was also my most life-changing experience. Meeting new people, helping to improve a country; it's all I've ever wished for. Maybe someday I'll work for the UN.

My mother and I were comparing Kenya and Haiti for a couple weeks after March Break. She was saying that she would not give anymore money to Haiti, but, instead give it to Caring Partners Global, the group my mother and I went with to Kenya. Even though Haiti looks worse, it's tragedies are no where near those of Kenya. I want you to really think about this. Haiti has all the supplies and money they need. All we need to do is teach them how to use the materials. But Kenya, Lord help Kenya, they need to be taught about sexually transmitted diseases, they need help with food, medications, and housing. They need help building a completely new and healthier life-style.