Spot the Differences? | Teen Ink

Spot the Differences?

By slipknot18 BRONZE, Mississauga, Other
slipknot18 BRONZE, Mississauga, Other

"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend."
"Don't let the darkness of the past cover the brightness of the future."

As we all know, Haiti was hit by a massive earthquake less than a few months ago. We've been helping them out ever since. We've sent over supplies, money, and even volunteers. What we don't realize though is that Haiti has all the supplies they need, they just don't know how to use it.

My mother volunteered in Haiti over March Break this year. When she came back to Canada, she told my sister and I all about the ups and downs. She also told us that what she noticed most, was that Haiti has all the supplies and money they needed; they just didn't know how to use it.

This past summer I went to Kenya with my mother for one month. While my mom was busy working at a local clinic, I was just down the road at a school teaching grades 4 and 5 math, English, and science. Being in Kenya was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but it was also my most life-changing experience. Meeting new people, helping to improve a country; it's all I've ever wished for. Maybe someday I'll work for the UN.

My mother and I were comparing Kenya and Haiti for a couple weeks after March Break. She was saying that she would not give anymore money to Haiti, but, instead give it to Caring Partners Global, the group my mother and I went with to Kenya. Even though Haiti looks worse, it's tragedies are no where near those of Kenya. I want you to really think about this. Haiti has all the supplies and money they need. All we need to do is teach them how to use the materials. But Kenya, Lord help Kenya, they need to be taught about sexually transmitted diseases, they need help with food, medications, and housing. They need help building a completely new and healthier life-style.

What inspired me to write this? Well, ever since my mother and I got back from Kenya, she's been telling me to tell as many people as possible about my experience. So far I've talked about my trip at my school and at my church. In a few weeks I'm going to be presenting at a rotary club meeting.

I have a personal goal to raise $5,000 for Caring Partners Global by the time I finish high school. I'm hoping to come up with a product to sell in order to raise all the money in time. Maybe t-shirts, CDs, calendars, or even art work done by my friends and me. I love taking pictures. Maybe I'll be able to enlarge a ton of the photos, frame them, and organize an art show especially to raise this $5,000.