Yes, I'm an Only Child | Teen Ink

Yes, I'm an Only Child

By Katie R PLATINUM, Fort Plain, New York
Katie R PLATINUM, Fort Plain, New York

In my family, I'm the oldest, the youngest, the middle child, and the favorite. How can just one person hold all of these titles? Well, when you're an only child, it's easy. I've gotten some different reactions when I tell people that I'm an only child. Most people think it's cool. There's only been one time where I've gotten a negative reaction. I think they kinda thought that was sad, but I don't. Actually, I take it in a totally positive way. I absolutely love being an only child. As you may have already guessed, there are a lot of perks when it comes to being an only child. I don't have to share my room with anyone, and I can go to my room and watch or listen to whatever I want without having to worry if my sibling likes it or not. I don't have to lean on my sibling when I go to functions where I don't know anybody. Instead, I have to stand on my own and make new friends, which helps to make me a stronger person. And, if I ever need that brotherly/sisterly advice, I just go to my parents. Plus, my parents and I have a wonderful relationship; we probably wouldn't have such a great relationship if my parents had to divide their time between me and my siblings.

Right now, you're probably saying, "Sure that's nice and all, but isn't one the loneliest number?" Well, that all depends in what type of situation you're in, but for me, as an only child, I'm not lonely at all. I do things all day to keep myself busy, and I'm always hanging with my friends and/or family. I keep myself busy with school, chores, youth group, volunteering, writing, and many other things.

So, for me, being an only child is a life that I wouldn't ever trade. And, for those reading who have siblings, be thankful for the life you have because, no matter how you flip the coin, we all have some type of perks. Whether you're an only child or one of thirteen siblings, always be thankful for who you have in your life because they're all there for a reason.

Shotgun said...
on Mar. 5 2010 at 2:59 pm
Another excellent article by this author. When reading this latest offering one has to wonder...is it fiction..or....a description of her actual situation. Personally, I think the author is "telling it like it is" and deserves a standing ovation for being so well adjusted.