Lowering the Driving Age: Why We Should. | Teen Ink

Lowering the Driving Age: Why We Should.

October 16, 2009
By Kalina Krabel BRONZE, East Setauket, New York
Kalina Krabel BRONZE, East Setauket, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

All over the country, teens are learning how to drive and using this skill in everyday activities. Whether it’s driving to school, work, or running errands, a car always comes in handy to make daily tasks easier for the entire family. When you are still in high school, independence on the road is important. This is one of the many reasons that New York State should consider lowering the driving age.
Not only will this grant young Americans to learn the rules of the road earlier, it will teach them responsibility at an early age and they will fully benefit from this alteration in the law.

In other states all over America, many teens have the opportunity to get their full license at age 16. In the state of New York, you are only permitted to get your Learners permit at 16. Not only is this an unfair advantage for the teens of New York, it gives New Yorkers less practice, and is unreasonable. Many of the driving laws in the United States vary from state to state, but I think it is important that we see a unity in the rules of the road. If one state allows a full license at age 16, this law should be carried over to the all other states.
Of course teens should be thoroughly tested before receiving a driving license of any kind. A suggestion that would help both the law and teens would be to test teens at age 16, but at a high level of expertise. If they could pass this grueling driving exam, they will be granted their full license. This test would include multiple choice, writing, and a road test in which the test-taker must show the state that they have control on the road. The only way to become a better driver is to practice, and study the rules of the road. If you are committed to these things you should be granted the right to drive. If at any point, this licensed teen driver fails to follow the law, a license suspension can be enforced, guaranteeing safe roads.
As a teen personally impacted by this law, I do believe that if you can prove that you are a safe driver, you should be granted the right to exercise your abilities on the road. It is obvious that not all teens are ready to drive at 16, which is why a more demanding test would separate those who are ready, from those who are not. It would make life a lot easier for parents, as well as teach responsibility to teens all across the US.