Where have our morals gone? | Teen Ink

Where have our morals gone?

By Mallory Risko GOLD, Ocala, Florida
Mallory Risko GOLD, Ocala, Florida

Today, it seems to me that we live in a world of individuals without morals. Nobody, seems to care how they are perceived anymore. In society today a number of things have become socially acceptable, that would have been considered unsightly fifty years ago. I often wonder if this is because of the difference in era, or is it because people have given up their morals and accepted the norm? Take a look around you the next time you go out in public. You will see everything from cleavage, short skirts, head to toe tattoos, too many piercing and other things. However, people aren’t just losing morals in how they look. They are also losing them in their behavior. For instance profane language has become more accepted as well as, divorce, teenage pregnancy, and underage drinking. It seems like everywhere you go you hear somebody using curse words. This honestly is not attractive at all. In my opinion its rather trashy and does not speak highly of your character. Divorce seems to happen all the time today. Nobody seems to be willing to work out their problems, and when it gets tough they quit. Teens don’t seem to realize that sex one time, could get them pregnant. It’s almost as if their reputation and future doesn’t matter to them anymore, as long as they get have sex. For some reason some parents today allow their teens to drink, and a lot of teens think it’s okay to drink underage. Underage drinking is not cool, and in the long run your five minutes of popularity at a party will run out in about five seconds. I truly believe that it is time for people to have some morals again, especially teenagers. You don’t want a bad reputation, as the girl who sleeps around, the druggie, the trash talker, the guy who only wants to have sex and nothing else. While your so called fame will last for a little while, you mistakes will follow you for the rest of your life. Make good choices, and stand up for what you believe in, your life depends on it.

Sparaxis GOLD said...
Sparaxis GOLD, Saint Marys, Georgia

"If you keep on picking on me, I'll mess up again. This time, on PURPOSE."

Same here brother. It was so shocking for me to learn how obscene and disgusting the world is. Sometimes it messes me up so much I suffer from a depression often lasting for days or weeks and the hideous words and images repeat themselves in my mind over and over and over. At the immoral rate we'really going, we must be close to the apocalypse. Now I plan to write a story on why we should keep decency around.

harper7548 said...
I have never agreed more. Im 14 and very mature for my age. This may sound silly, but lately I've been having a problem grasping all the sexually immoral people around me. Almost everyone of my friends have had sex, keeping in mind several are in 10th grade, but to me that still seems way to young to be having sex. Maybe it's the christian household I was raised in, but whatever happened to waiting till marriage. Now moving on to drinking and other substance abuse, I know for a fact atleast half of my grade (400 students) are out drinking, dipping, smoking, or popping pills almost every weekend. The saddest part about this is their parents are aware of this OR they are buying the drugs for their kids! Now, cussing, all I'm gonna say is it would be easier to tell you the kids who don't cuss. I will NEVER understand my generation and  honestly I'm very embarassed by them.

hermes said...
on Mar. 22 2010 at 3:23 am
We're in a sad state of affairs. Morality going down the tubes. We're selling our souls for pleasure and toys. Atheism trying to kill religion, and psychologists even think religious thinking is insane.

We got people who think gun control is good, why some want guns banned. They use fear to make us give up freedoms, kid shot himself, tragic as it is, accidents happen.

The way I see it, people are brainwashed into believing they are participating, but in reality they are being manipulated buy the strings of pleasure and fear. With no compass to guide them in life, they have no way of realizing there's even a problem.

We have plenty of information today, but a lot of folks have very little knowledge. Without knowledge there is no basis for comparison when you encounter information, and without wisdom I don't believe there is freedom.

ps sorry I wrote this thing 3 times, a bit frustrated with this topic today.

neto93219 said...
on Feb. 7 2010 at 12:22 am
AMEN! I agree 100% It's hard to find a person who thinks like this.

pencil.to.paper BRONZE, Sandy, Utah

The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up. - Unknown

you make a great point. i've wondered about this very issue myself. why is the world so different now than it was 50 years ago? not long ago i took a trip to new orleans, and that place is by far the epitome of the point you're making. the looser the girls are, stronger the drinks, louder the music, the better. i hope people realize what they're doing at some point. there will always be a few of those people out there - but today's world is rediculous.

however i do agree with the person above me, who said that this generation will do great things. we struggle in some areas but so did the generation before us, and before them, and before them, and so on and so forth.

TigerLynn GOLD said...
TigerLynn GOLD, Maysville, Kentucky

"She walks in beauty,
Like the night of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes."
--Byron

Many of these issues have been around longer than our generation, like underage drinking, cussing, and the way teenager's dress. Yes, I do agree with some of this article, like respecting to yourself. But our generation is not so bad! You are forgetting that racism is at an all time low, teens are placing more value on their education now that they are aware of more scholarships, and we are more environment friendly. I believe our generation will do great things!