Where have our morals gone? | Teen Ink

Where have our morals gone?

September 23, 2009
By Mallory Risko GOLD, Ocala, Florida
Mallory Risko GOLD, Ocala, Florida
11 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Today, it seems to me that we live in a world of individuals without morals. Nobody, seems to care how they are perceived anymore. In society today a number of things have become socially acceptable, that would have been considered unsightly fifty years ago. I often wonder if this is because of the difference in era, or is it because people have given up their morals and accepted the norm? Take a look around you the next time you go out in public. You will see everything from cleavage, short skirts, head to toe tattoos, too many piercing and other things. However, people aren’t just losing morals in how they look. They are also losing them in their behavior. For instance profane language has become more accepted as well as, divorce, teenage pregnancy, and underage drinking. It seems like everywhere you go you hear somebody using curse words. This honestly is not attractive at all. In my opinion its rather trashy and does not speak highly of your character. Divorce seems to happen all the time today. Nobody seems to be willing to work out their problems, and when it gets tough they quit. Teens don’t seem to realize that sex one time, could get them pregnant. It’s almost as if their reputation and future doesn’t matter to them anymore, as long as they get have sex. For some reason some parents today allow their teens to drink, and a lot of teens think it’s okay to drink underage. Underage drinking is not cool, and in the long run your five minutes of popularity at a party will run out in about five seconds. I truly believe that it is time for people to have some morals again, especially teenagers. You don’t want a bad reputation, as the girl who sleeps around, the druggie, the trash talker, the guy who only wants to have sex and nothing else. While your so called fame will last for a little while, you mistakes will follow you for the rest of your life. Make good choices, and stand up for what you believe in, your life depends on it.