Reckless Teen Driving

Did you ever see one of those public service announcements about reckless teen driving on television? You probably have. And while watching the teen in the commercial get in some serious trouble for killing their best friend in a car accident, did you roll your eyes and think, “That would never happen to anyone I know,”. You probably did. I used to think that, too, until about a year ago. That was when my world was turned upside down. Picture the scene; Your in sixth grade, excited about the school year ending and graduation to junior high school, and suddenly your mom gets a phone call. It isn’t any ordinary phone call though, because your mother starts crying hysterically. You go over to see what’s wrong, and get the shock of your life. You learn that one of your family members is in the hospital, on life-support, with about a 20% chance of living. She’s your cousin, your favorite cousin, and she probably won’t make it through the night. The cause of all of this: Reckless teen driving.
At first, I didn’t understand. No one would explain to me exactly what happened, except for her friend wasn’t watching where she was going, and crashed the car. It turns out, she blew the stop sign, almost crashed into a car with a mother and her small child inside, but then collided with a semi-truck. The tiny car they were in flipped over, and my cousin was smashed into the windshield. The driver, one of my cousin’s best friends, walked out of the accident without a scratch. It didn’t seem fair, because it wasn’t my cousin’s fault, she wasn’t the one driving, but she was the one who was going to lose her life.
My family began planning her funeral-Jill‘s funeral. I just sat in my room and cried. This was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, so far. Seventeen years old, that was how old she was. And that was the age she would remain, forever.
Then, suddenly, Jill woke up from her coma. The doctors said it was a miracle, but she would most likely have permanent brain damage, or be paralyzed from the neck down. I was so excited at first, She was going to live! Then I realized it, I would never really have my cousin back. She might be alive, but she wouldn’t be able to feed herself, walk, talk, or even move. Jill would never be able to go to prom, graduate high school, go to college, or have a family. I was devastated.
Soon after that, I went to go visit her in the hospital. She was progressing wonderfully. The doctors were wrong, she was already walking with a walker, and talking normally. She had minor short-term memory loss, and scars covering her back and shoulders. But her mind was back to normal, for the most part. Jill vowed that she would be back at high school for her senior year. The doctors told her there was no chance of her recovering that quickly, but sure enough, she did.
Now, a little over a year later, I write this after coming back from Jill’s high school graduation. I’m happy to report that my cousin is back to the way she was before the accident. She finished up her senior year of high school as a normal teenager. Jill defied all odds, and has come a long way in such a short amount of time. Although this has been a tough experience, I’ve learned so much through it. I know now to be careful when it’s my time to get behind the wheel of a car, and to watch who I get in the car with, when I’m not the one driving.

Hailey95 said...
Jul. 6, 2009 at 9:26 pm:
Although nothing like this has ever happened to anyone I know, I still feel like I can relate to this article.

Very good writing :)

Swimgirl said...
Jun. 30, 2009 at 8:09 pm:
I couldnt read this without getting tears in my eyes. Just 4 days ago one of my good friends from another town was in an accident and died. She was only 17, same age as your friend.

Lexi_Love said...
Jun. 25, 2009 at 5:11 pm:
This is great ! You are a very talented writer