Open letter | Teen Ink

Open letter

Dear fellow apartment tenants,

I am writing to you regarding the laundry room. As you know, there are a number of people who have to share the same washer and dryer according to floor level, for we live in an apartment and do not own our own machines. I find it quite irritating that people I share the floor with leave their laundry in the washer and dryer. All of the other people who share this same floor with you need to use the machines, yet you still continuously leave your clothes in them, even hours after you first started your loads. It makes life very difficult for people like me, who have a schedule to keep, places to be, and things to do. Having to never know when exactly I will have time to do my laundry because of the machines constantly being “in use” by fellow tenants like yourselves.

Not only the fact that the machines are constantly filled with their done loads, but when I do find an opening to do my laundry, sometimes I come back to the machines to find my clothes taken out already and put on the top of the machines, with another person’s load of laundry in the machine I was using. I am prompt with getting my clothes out on time and whatnot. Also, sometimes my clothes have been taken out of the dryer, put on top, and I find that they have not even been fully dried yet. When I want to put them back in to finish its cycle, I can’t, because your wet clothes have taken the place of my damp clothes. This is very selfish of you. This has been irritating me greatly, and I would just like to kindly ask you to first take your clothes out promptly when you are finished with using the washer and dryer, and then not to take my clothes out and put them on top of the machines if they are not even dry yet. Thank you.

Dear fellow apartment tenants,