Love | Teen Ink

Love MAG

By Anonymous

   Love is a strange word. Some consider love the most beautiful word in the English language, others consider it a four-letter word. As for myself, I'm not sure. What is love exactly, besides being a word? The dictionary says "love is a powerful emotion felt for another person, showing itself in deep affection, devotion or sexual desire." I suppose that could be true, but how do we know? How can a person know that the powerful emotion he feels is truly love? He cannot know, not completely; he assumes the feeling is love and then moves on with his life. Making assumptions is not a safe way to survive life, especially if you have assumed incorrectly.

I have an "on again-off again" boyfriend who tells me he loves me. We have been dating on and off for almost a year and a half, and since the beginning of our relationship he has been saying "I love you." I didn't believe him then, and I find it difficult to believe him now. How can a seventeen year-old boy be in love? He has hardly experienced life, yet he claims to love me. I do want to believe him because I do feel strongly about him, but sometimes I wonder. I have talked to many people about his supposed love and I have heard varying opinions. Some say, "No way; he doesn't love you; he is just using you." Others say, "Of course he loves you. He says he does and he is being honest." Sometimes it is difficult to believe either opinion.

I believe the phrase "I love you" is highly overused. Using the same phrase to express your feelings toward your grandmother and a person you want to spend your entire life with is a slightly strange concept. How much faith can you put in a person's love when they use the same word to express how they feel about you and how they feel about their dog? n